Re: Kmail................

Charlie <ariestao@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
Haven't used Kmail for some months, maybe a year, but decided to try it
again a couple of days ago.

It appears to be a huge resource hog, and doesn't respond for some time
as it does something which I can't detect, sometimes using 20% of my
CPU and 10% of the RAM.

I've cut out as many of it's processes as I can but that makes
no difference to it's slug like operation.

I'm just curious; wonder - is this what should be expected from
Kmail from now on, only so that if this is going to be the way it runs,
I won't waste my time with it again.

I do not use kmail, but but I recommend it and install it for new users,
and normally it has not this kind of problems. But I know two cases
where it can hang:

1) There is a long-standing bug - or feature request: kmail does not
start a new thread when downloading mail, so you have to wait for it to
finish. It can be long if you have lots of mail, or if you pass the mail
through anti-spam/anti-virus.

2) fam/libfam0 have a bug where it takes all of the cpu; if you have a
multi-core cpu, you may not notice that it's eating up your processing
time, but when kmail may be very slow in this case (it seems to depend
heavily on libfam). I've solved this problem replacing famd by gamin
(and libfam0 by libgamin0).

Tiago.

  • Re: [kde-linux] Renicing KDE service daemons
    ... taking memory and CPU whether or not any client is using them. ... Not sure how KMail is related to the other two since it is not yet using ... command with a nice command. ...
    (KDE)
  • Re: [kde] Sluggish computer, KMail hogging the CPU
    ... KMAil 1.13.7 KDE 4.6.5 under Mageia 1 ... kmail's cpu usage is well down in the noise here. ... Real computer scientists like having a computer on their desk, ... This message is from the kde mailing list. ...
    (KDE)
  • Re: [OT] Re: correct English usage
    ... April 2012 schrieb Camaleón: ... in my own language but it is still perfectly correct. ... I might try whether KMail handles ignoring this thread. ... To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: [opensuse] Re: [opensuse-factory] what you can do with KDE3 that you cant do with KDE4.
    ... and made it half-size so I could see your post in kmail and the mail links at ... the bottom of your post to unsubscribe to opensuse (everyone's posts have the ... Most of the emails have links.. ...
    (SuSE)
  • Re: [OT] Gmail POP fails
    ... > Gmail. ... Yes I'm using Kmail, I've tried that - it made no difference. ... To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx ...
    (Debian-User)