Back up routines

Generally I have relied on the separate partitioning of my /home directory as some measure of protection against hosing my system through pebkac-type activities, but this is not necessarily the most reliable of options and certainly won't help in the case of a catastrophic HDD-failure.

Thus, can I please have a few recommendations for a backup routine that is safe for dummies (i.e. me) and is low maintenance that I can just leave to run according to a cron job once (or twice) a week? It would be backing up to my former IDE HDD (now in an enclosure) via an USB. It would be best if the application was able to tell what has changed between backup sessions to back up only that which is new, but perhaps that is the default anyway.

Any recommendations please?

Cheers

AG

  • Re: Back up routines
    ... directory as some measure of protection against hosing my system through pebkac-type activities, but this is not necessarily the most reliable of options and certainly won't help in the case of a catastrophic HDD-failure. ... can I please have a few recommendations for a backup routine that is safe for dummies and is low maintenance that I can just leave to run according to a cron job once a week? ... To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx with a subject of "unsubscribe". ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: Back up routines
    ... some measure of protection against hosing my system through pebkac-type activities, but this is not necessarily the most reliable of options and certainly won't help in the case of a catastrophic HDD-failure. ... can I please have a few recommendations for a backup routine that is safe for dummies and is low maintenance that I can just leave to run according to a cron job once a week? ... I have been using rsync with a usb 320 Gb drive to back up 3 flavors of linux. ... To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx with a subject of "unsubscribe". ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: Back up routines
    ... directory as some measure of protection against hosing my system through pebkac-type activities, but this is not necessarily the most reliable of options and certainly won't help in the case of a catastrophic HDD-failure. ... can I please have a few recommendations for a backup routine that is safe for dummies and is low maintenance that I can just leave to run according to a cron job once a week? ... I have been using rsync with a usb 320 Gb drive to back up 3 flavors of linux. ... To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx with a subject of "unsubscribe". ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: Voice control
    ... cope with a mouse, just, but typing is a major problem for her. ... Does anyone have any recommendations for (better yet, ... would be a Windows virtual machine and Naturally Speaking, ... To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx ...
    (Debian-User)
  • New Mainboard.