Re: Back up routines

On 2009-07-26 12:48, AG wrote:
Generally I have relied on the separate partitioning of my /home directory as some measure of protection against hosing my system through pebkac-type activities, but this is not necessarily the most reliable of options and certainly won't help in the case of a catastrophic HDD-failure.

Thus, can I please have a few recommendations for a backup routine that is safe for dummies (i.e. me) and is low maintenance that I can just leave to run according to a cron job once (or twice) a week? It would be backing up to my former IDE HDD (now in an enclosure) via an USB. It would be best if the application was able to tell what has changed between backup sessions to back up only that which is new, but perhaps that is the default anyway.

Any recommendations please?

A cron job implies that the external drive must be constantly attached to the computer, which leaves it vulnerable to electrical surges.

Thus, when I'm ready to do a backup, I power-up/plug in the USB drive and manually run a script.

http://members.cox.net/ron.l.johnson/backup.files.sh.txt

Since I purposefully keep most already-compressed files in their own directories, I exclude them from the "tar bzip2" commands, and then simply tar those directories.

After that, umount and unplug.

--
Scooty Puff, Sr
The Doom-Bringer

  • Re: Back up routines
    ... leave to run according to a cron job once a week? ... There are 10M ways to backup. ... I use amanda cron jobs every other day, and write to tape. ... To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx with a subject of "unsubscribe". ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: [opensuse] Cron Job Problem
    ... On Saturday 22 December 2007 15:42:47 Patrick Shanahan wrote: ... backup was updated. ... It did nothing to your cron job. ... To unsubscribe, e-mail: opensuse+unsubscribe@xxxxxxxxxxxx ...
    (SuSE)
  • Re: Need some small help on shell script - delete old files
    ... recent dump is always left un-compressed with no .gz extension. ... The second dump has to be coming from an alternate CRON job or an AT ... If you have a script somewhere that is running between 2-3pm each day, ... starting around that time (remember that the time on the backup file ...
    (comp.unix.shell)
  • Re: Speaking of tar, Can I use it to BU my win98 partition.
    ... It would appear that on May 12, Jeff Vian did say: ... > I use it and have it set to run from a cron job at night once a week. ... > full backup monthly, differential backups weekly. ... One of the things I like about the tar approach is it keeps ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: undo rm -rf *
    ... "nrm", available at http://www.omnisterra.com/walker/linux/nrm.html ... "mv" it back to their working directory. ... There is an associated cron job that runs every day to permanently ... and the only solution is to have a backup. ...
    (Fedora)