Re: Back up routines

On 2009-07-26 12:48, AG wrote:
Generally I have relied on the separate partitioning of my /home directory as some measure of protection against hosing my system through pebkac-type activities, but this is not necessarily the most reliable of options and certainly won't help in the case of a catastrophic HDD-failure.

Thus, can I please have a few recommendations for a backup routine that is safe for dummies (i.e. me) and is low maintenance that I can just leave to run according to a cron job once (or twice) a week? It would be backing up to my former IDE HDD (now in an enclosure) via an USB. It would be best if the application was able to tell what has changed between backup sessions to back up only that which is new, but perhaps that is the default anyway.

Any recommendations please?

A cron job implies that the external drive must be constantly attached to the computer, which leaves it vulnerable to electrical surges.

Thus, when I'm ready to do a backup, I power-up/plug in the USB drive and manually run a script.

http://members.cox.net/ron.l.johnson/backup.files.sh.txt

Since I purposefully keep most already-compressed files in their own directories, I exclude them from the "tar bzip2" commands, and then simply tar those directories.

After that, umount and unplug.

--
Scooty Puff, Sr
The Doom-Bringer

  • Re: Back up routines
    ... leave to run according to a cron job once a week? ... There are 10M ways to backup. ... I use amanda cron jobs every other day, and write to tape. ... To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx with a subject of "unsubscribe". ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: [opensuse] Cron Job Problem
    ... On Saturday 22 December 2007 15:42:47 Patrick Shanahan wrote: ... backup was updated. ... It did nothing to your cron job. ... To unsubscribe, e-mail: opensuse+unsubscribe@xxxxxxxxxxxx ...
    (SuSE)
  • Re: Need some small help on shell script - delete old files
    ... recent dump is always left un-compressed with no .gz extension. ... The second dump has to be coming from an alternate CRON job or an AT ... If you have a script somewhere that is running between 2-3pm each day, ... starting around that time (remember that the time on the backup file ...
    (comp.unix.shell)
  • Re: DriveReady SeekComplete Error DriveStatusError BadCRC
    ... Buffer I/O error on device hda1, ... I would recommend a backup as soon as you can manage. ... To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx with a subject of "unsubscribe". ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: iomega 2TB external USB drive
    ... backup my win7 drive -- I wonder if I were to repartition it would it ... backup of my win7 and of no real concern at this time. ... foffl.sourceforge.net - Feeds OFFLine, an offline RSS/Atom aggregator ... To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx ...
    (Debian-User)