Re: Back up routines

On Tue, Jul 28, 2009 at 11:08 AM, Eric
Gerlach<egerlach@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Tue, Jul 28, 2009 at 10:02:06AM -0500, Ron Johnson wrote:

My granfather and his accountant were alternately bringing home 13"
disk packs 30 years ago.  They've obviously got newer hardware now
(tape drives), and he's passed on, but the blazingly simple task is
still the same: bring your important data off-site every night.

It's just Something You Do.

s/do/used to do/

Sure, your grandfather did it, but give any small-business owner these two
choices:

1. Every day, bring this drive in, plug it in, run this program, then take it
home at night; or

2. Pay Amazon $3/mo and don't worry about it;

and I bet over 80% of them choose #2.  They'll say "The time it takes me to do
that for one week is worth more than $3, let alone for the whole month!".  The
ones who choose #1 don't value their time enough, IMO.

It depends on the amount of data you have. If you're a decent-sized
small business with a lot of databases to back up and you're pushing
10 GB nightly, then it's more like $33/mo, assuming you never actually
have to use the backup. If you have to *use* the backup, your restore
process will be constrained to the speed of your internet connection,
which could result in some very significant downtime which may or may
not be acceptable for your business.

Each way has advantages and disadvantages; there isn't a
one-size-fits-all for this.

  • Re: Whats the best way to backup to dvd?
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: why have a server?...advice needed
    ... responsible mainly for the SG&A costs (the other buyers will be overseeing ... Virtually none of the business ... But without a server, this gets very complicated. ... why not use an online backup tool for each computer (e.g. ...
  • Re: why have a server?...advice needed
    ... I don't need to know EXACT SPECIFIC DETAILS, but I'm being forced to generalize because I know nothing of what the business will do, other than it will have 20-30 users and many with laptops. ... If your web site were BUSY, THEN you want it hosted on a reliable system in a data center somewhere where they have emergency generators and multiple connections to the internet in case one fails. ... SBS will allow you to redirect everyone's My Documents and Desktop folders to a folder on the server. ... why not use an online backup tool for each computer. ...
  • Re: How Apple Won Our Mini Enterprise Contract
    ... For anybody who runs a business on ...minis, ... How in the world is an Xserve a substitute for six Mac minis? ... Maybe also run Retrospect for client backup. ...
    (comp.sys.mac.advocacy)
  • Re: Linux for Kids
    ... > would think that a young teen aged boy would love this game and want ... > backup system, etc., so on, and so forth. ... > because he won't pay for it. ... > for business that is in business to make money. ...
    (comp.os.linux)