Re: Musings on debian-user list

On 2009-07-28 13:09, Mark wrote:
[snip]
When I feel adventurous one weekend I'll try a Debian install without the
desktop environment.

But what will you *do* with it? Mutt will frustrate you to no end, and the intarweb has become too graphics-oriented to make lynx/elinks widely useful.

I hate to say this, but a GUI just makes most client-side stuff easier. Even I, who loves the CLI, use GNOME for no other reason than things like the Panel make my life easier. (And xterms are really great because I can have lots of windows open in any size I want them, some huge and some tiny.)

I think this email list is filled with people very
comfortable using no desktop environment, but for those of us raised on
Windoze it takes some time to transition over. :)

Certainly.

I'd suggest that you first wean yourself off Nautilus, doing as much file management as possible from the CLI. Then, one by one, find CLI replacements for the management tasks you currently use a GUI for.

Configuring your own MTA, SpamAssassin, fetchmail, etc are also cool things to set up, making your desktop more a mixed-use system than simply a client.

--
Scooty Puff, Sr
The Doom-Bringer