Re: Musings on debian-user list

On Tue, Jul 28 2009, AG wrote:

Care to elaborate on that, John? This is a serious question - I used
to use Xfce back in the days of Slackware 8.1, but that was still a WM
(or was that a DE?). Are you referring to those FWM-like systems, or
something entirely different?

I use fvwm. This allows far more control: for example, see here
for window decorations:
http://www.twobarleycorns.net/fvwm-decors.html

Here is a mac osxy look and feel using fvwm:
http://www.guistyles.com/wp-gallery/fvwmmilk2ny.jpg
A bit snow blindingly white, but it has decent aesthetics.

Here are some screen shots:
http://fvwm.org/screenshots/desktops/

Here is where you see a tutorial to create bouncing docks, all
by yourself:
http://www.zensites.net/fvwm/guide/advanced_buttons.html

Here is a tutorial:
http://www.zensites.net/fvwm/guide/index.html

You get to create gestures, and bind them to keys, and with
fvwm-themes it is themable, it can be extended, and you can use perl
functions to add to fvwm.

All in all, I would say while heavy customization takes time,
you can rarely get this level of control elsewhere.

manoj
--
The solution of this problem is trivial and is left as an exercise for
the reader.

  • Re: a dumb query? pls humor me
    ... I've wanted to try xfce, but not enough to compile it myself, and I ... Yup, I've tried fvwm, fvwm2, fvwm95, and they all drive me nuts. ... like half an attempt at Afterstep with bad knockoffs of the win16 or win32 ... To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: What Linux can be used on a 366 MHz laptop with 192Mb RAM?
    ... I have an old AMSTech laptop with a 233 MHz PII and 64 Meg RAM. ... running an old Slackware with fvwm version 1.24r. ...
    (alt.os.linux)
  • Re: Dual-Monitor help
    ... my primary use of the GUI is email, the web apps I have to support, and ... You could try fvwm and a recent emacs24 with gnus and tmux ... To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: Musings on debian-user list
    ... I can have an FVWM "desktop" with a couple of dozen ... "panes" for each of umpteen projects. ... of Emacs instances, a debugger, an xterm running "tail -f" on a log, ... To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: changing window managers in debian 6.0.4
    ... Now I use fvwm, but frankly configuration is not for the impatient ... Openbox just uses an xml config file, ... To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx ...
    (Debian-User)