Re: Musings on debian-user list

On Tue, Jul 28 2009, AG wrote:

Care to elaborate on that, John? This is a serious question - I used
to use Xfce back in the days of Slackware 8.1, but that was still a WM
(or was that a DE?). Are you referring to those FWM-like systems, or
something entirely different?

I use fvwm. This allows far more control: for example, see here
for window decorations:
http://www.twobarleycorns.net/fvwm-decors.html

Here is a mac osxy look and feel using fvwm:
http://www.guistyles.com/wp-gallery/fvwmmilk2ny.jpg
A bit snow blindingly white, but it has decent aesthetics.

Here are some screen shots:
http://fvwm.org/screenshots/desktops/

Here is where you see a tutorial to create bouncing docks, all
by yourself:
http://www.zensites.net/fvwm/guide/advanced_buttons.html

Here is a tutorial:
http://www.zensites.net/fvwm/guide/index.html

You get to create gestures, and bind them to keys, and with
fvwm-themes it is themable, it can be extended, and you can use perl
functions to add to fvwm.

All in all, I would say while heavy customization takes time,
you can rarely get this level of control elsewhere.

manoj
--
The solution of this problem is trivial and is left as an exercise for
the reader.