Re: Musings on debian-user list

On 28 Jul 2009, John Hasler wrote:
Mark wrote:
When I feel adventurous one weekend I'll try a Debian install without the
desktop environment.

Ron Johnson writes:
But what will you *do* with it? Mutt will frustrate you to no end, and
the intarweb has become too graphics-oriented to make lynx/elinks widely
useful.

"No desktop environment" does not mean no graphics (nor does it mean no X).
There _is_ life outside CDE, KDE, and Gnome.
--
John Hasler

Quite agree about desktop environments. Surprised no one has mentioned
Icewm; I try other WMs from time to time but always come back to Icewm
with a sense of relief.

Incidentally, the same comments apply to mutt. What's wrong with it?

Anthony

--
Anthony Campbell - ac@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
and sceptical articles)

  • Re: Musings on debian-user list
    ... the intarweb has become too graphics-oriented to make lynx/elinks widely ... "No desktop environment" does not mean no graphics. ... To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: How to start an user program automatically after logging on.
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: this is cool
    ... KDE is a much better desktop environment to blatantly which makes ... > and even graphics card driver without restarting the graphical ... No Linux desktop environment ... > menu still comes close to functionality Windows 98 menu had. ...
    (alt.os.linux.suse)
  • Re: Installation of Debian by disk
    ... see graphics by command ... /etc/init.d/gdm in your runlevel. ... aptitude install gdm ... and select "desktop environment". ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: fastest linux distro
    ... depending on user skills and habits, a WM and shell may be all the ... "desktop environment" a user needs, ... To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx ...
    (Debian-User)