Re: HOWTO enhance Debian by removing HAL

On Sun, Aug 02, 2009 at 07:24 -0500, Nate Bargmann wrote:
* Osamu Aoki <osamu@xxxxxxxxxx> [2009 Aug 02 01:46 -0500]:
If you push such thought, ... Why even have X ... we can edit
everything by ed command. No vi(m), no emacs, .... and few essential
packages only will get to use Debian.

Did this, I even ported ed to a 6809 OS whose name I can't recall
(i.e. not OS 9) to replace a wordstar style editor just for the sake of
editing with regex power ("?^{?-1,.p" still being the string I type.

I can appreciate his desire that X not depend on HAL. Sometimes
"scratching that itch" involves removing those aspects we don't like as
well as creating something new. Perhaps the easiest way to accomplish
that is to get the last Xorg packages that did not depend on HAL from
snapshot.debian.org and once they're installed put them into the 'hold'
status.

I suggested that he may be using the wrong distribution and
that another may suit his needs better.

In the old days Debian had as a maxime differentiating it from other
Linux distributions: all configuration is handled via simple text
files. If this has been withdrawn, I might as well switch to say
Ubuntu where I know they are using gconf (?) to configure e.g. gdm.

Perhaps a BSD would be more to his liking.

Were we talking about Linux or about unixoid OSes?

What he seems to fail to understand is that with Free
Software he has the power to make the system *exactly* how he wishes
unlike the proprietary system he suggests some of us should use.

Yes, even if it means to back out X's dependency on the almost dead
HAL. I'm not yet fully decided, but I might even be inclined to help
him forking a more back to the roots Debian (without bash essential).

Don't get me wrong, IMHO Ubuntu is going the right way to reach
Joe.Luser and I tend to see it as kind of a fork of Debian
addressing a certain clientel. What I don't like to see is
Debian following the same route by depriving a sysadmin of his
freedom to decide which daemons to run.

Thanks for listening
Siggy
--
Please don't Cc: me when replying, I might not see either copy.
bsb-at-psycho-dot-informationsanarchistik-dot-de

  • Re: Debian or Ubuntu Dilemma
    ... Debian Stable < Ubuntu < Debian Testing/Unstable < Any Distro w/mutt packaging ... You'll eventually have to compile a few packages with any distro (from Debian ... Ubuntu seems to be a good balance if its default install does almost ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: Running testing? -- read this.
    ... I'm just an average Testing user, have been for a while, and around me almost every Debian users I know are using Testing, mostly because it's the Debian's flavour which can compare with other distros in term of being usable on a reasonably new computer, with up-to-date softwares. ... be considered a developer-only version, and according to my experience (i use it for work, along with Ubuntu stations... ... better still (it has NEWER packages!), but Unstable must not work well, ... You will also get the pleasure of finding all the bugs, ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: Switching from teTeX to TexLive in Ubuntu
    ... packages everything except: only Dutch language packs; ... using the Debian packages of TL. ... You are using the Ubuntu packages. ... It is a requirement for having different packages being able to install ...
    (comp.text.tex)
  • Re: Highly OT, but the partys over
    ... Ubuntu was originally designed to appeal to home users, ... decisions are largely* fine for that market. ... to be the Debian crowd who would also treat me to the "Not only is Free ... available as debian packages. ...
    (rec.autos.sport.f1)
  • Re: I like Ubuntu
    ... > dependent upon human intervention and just adds a layer of complexity ... Debian because Ubuntu just piggybacks on the Debian developers) ... release of say Ubuntu isn't in line with say, ... plot a graphic of the growth of number of packages ...
    (freebsd-questions)