Re: Using a package from unstable if stable has a bug?

On Wed, 5 Aug 2009 15:49:39 -0700
Kushal Koolwal <kushalkoolwal@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Let's say the package "watchdog" in Lenny has a bug which probably
got fixed in the later upstream versions of watchdog in Debian Sid.

So I pulled in the sources for watchdog package from Debian Sid on my
Lenny system and compiled the watchdog package and it built without
complaining about anything.

What are some of the ramifications using a compiled package from Sid
in Stable?

The only big issue would be the lack of automatic updates for watchdog
from now on. However, for such packages, I check up on the updates of
said packages by doing an RSS on this type of page
http://packages.qa.debian.org/w/watchdog.html (not that I use
watchdog). That page should inform you of any new updates that the
maintainer has done on that package, and you can decide whether you
want that update or not.

Is there any elegant way to workaround the situation? How about
backporting? Or with the above process that I just described, did I
just backported the package?

You have backported watchdog.

I'd advise you to check the build dependencies for any future updates.
Do an "aptitude -s build-dep watchdog/unstable" before doing the
"apt-get -t unstable source watchdog", just in case there are any build
changes (which might end up showing new build depends or that the
updated build depends can't be met by your Lenny from now on... in
which case you'll have to either build those new/updated build depends
{how much more work are you prepared to do to keep up?}, install the
packages directly from Testing or Unstable {not recommended, but can be
done if very careful} or upgrade your system to Testing or Unstable).
If the changed build depend or depend is optional (and not needed by
you) during compilation, then you could edit the debian/rules file to
remove that dependency during compile time (google about debian/rules
if you want to learn more about that sort of thing). Another file to
look at is the debian/control file, too.

Actually, it's worth looking up apt-src, too.

Graham

  • Re: the best Linux for me
    ... I've ben using debian on my desktop for about 8 years, ... What's Debian's package / distro system called? ... cl-clx-sbcl - An X11 Common Lisp client library for SBCL ... You can also see how out of date my unstable install ...
    (comp.lang.lisp)
  • Re: what version?
    ... > handling of RedHat package management had been jumbled by an architect who ... Debian, Gentoo, etc. ... As I mentioned earlier, Debian-compatible installation media (including ... the stable-branch archive, because he felt it was in particularly good ...
    (comp.os.linux.setup)
  • Re: CLARITY re: challenge: end of life for 6.2 is prematurewithbuggy 6.3
    ... If the new php package works fine on your build box, ... For most of the ports this works, ... Even debian has no plus point there (at least in our environment at ... I've had a disk down of course it was in gmirror and the situation ...
    (freebsd-stable)
  • Re: When stability is pointless
    ... debian includes the correct version of the documentation. ... installing a package should result in that package working ... of the reasons I switched to Ubuntu was to minimise the gap between a ... unstable/sid: frequently updated from upstream, ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: bits/news from the users of Debian?
    ... "Le bottin des jeux Linux" speaks about 800 Linux games and i hope that's growing. ... I start with Debian, then test Mandrake because it seem's at this time very complicated. ... I think graphics interface for installation is a good thing: you have make a good job! ... I use Debian Sid and I have experiment a lot of problem some years ago because i install too recent package on Sid which are not well tested. ...
    (Debian-User)