[ANNOUNCE] apt-offline 0.9.0 released

Dear Debian Users,

I'm pleased to announce the new and first release for apt-offline, at version
0.9.0.
(apt-offline was previously named pypt-offline)

apt-offline is an Offline APT Package Manager for APT based systems, i.e. mostly
Debian and Debian derived distributions.
apt-offline can fully update/upgrade your disconnected Debian box without the
need of connecting it to the network.

* It works by generating a signature of the disconnected box.
* You carry the signature to a net connected box running anything
(Windows/Linux/Mac)
* apt-offline downloads all data as per the signature. This includes apt
database, packages, bug reports. The data can be bundled to a single file to
carry it easily on a USB stick
* The bundle file is all that is needed on the disconnected Debian box. Apt on
this box will feel like everything was downloaded the traditional (apt-get
update/upgrade) way.

While I'm working toward getting it packaged and included into Debian, I am
looking for users who could test and provide feedback. I'm more keen on
feedback on the interface and options/arguments you'd like to see.

apt-offline is currently being tailored at [1] and the 0.9.0 release is
available for testing at [2]

[1] http://git.debian.org/?p=users/rrs-guest/apt-offline.git;a=summary
[2] http://git.debian.org/?p=users/rrs-guest/apt-
offline.git;a=snapshot;h=03d8e4d628ce2eaa859d371f95f11ad56bb434b7;sf=tgz

PS: If possible, please CC me when replying. I'm not religiously following the
d-u list.

Regards,
Ritesh
--
Ritesh Raj Sarraf
RESEARCHUT - http://www.researchut.com

  • Re: Debian
    ... Both apt and dpkg are package tools, as are aptitude, synaptic, ... Which is ultimately why Ubuntu, and via Ubuntu, Debian, is basically ... There have been lots of efforts to "improve" Debian before now, ...
    (Ubuntu)
  • Re: How to stop a pkg being updated to the latest with Apt
    ... put the package on hold. ... an individual package with Apt (at least not on the Apt version on ... I havn't had to hold back packages on my Debian ... Using the fltk ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: Installing new software packages in Debian
    ... > I want to try installing Debian but I don't understand how to install ... but now I want to switch to Debian because I ... use apt that much, but it is a pretty slick program. ... apt-sortpkgs - Utility to sort package index files ...
    (comp.os.linux.misc)
  • Re: RH Veteran is now a Debian Newbie
    ... have to manually track down, and rebuild, package depedencies. ... | So I thought I'd try debian as it seems a little more consistent. ... Using apt ... Note that dpkg is the counterpart to rpm. ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: Installation of further packages
    ... Unfortunately I have no Linux background and I am not able to install ... In Debian, you generally do not compile all the packages yourself ... Debian has a very good package management ... system which is built on two important programs: dpkg and apt. ...
    (Debian-User)