Re: problem compiling new kernel

bdebreil 写道:
Hi to Everyone,

With my old SARGE system, as stated here last week, I was unable to boot
newly compiled kernels, most likely because of the faulty initrd.img
that I got using 'mkinitrd'. For this reason, I decided to install
Lenny.

Now, with Lenny, I haven't so far been able to go any further in
recompiling usable kernels. 2.6.30.4 did compile without errors, but
then I found that I had no 'mkinitrd' on my new system. How am I to
generate an initrd.img ? I was unable to find any package that I could
install using apt-get with the name 'mkinitrd', there is no such thing
either in the cache base. However, when I installed Lenny (72 hours
ago), the install program did generate an initrd.img-2.6.26-2-686 that
is now installed in my /boot directory, and my /boot/grub/menu.lst file
does specify this file in the boot menu.

Thanks in advance for your help

P.S. I did find a doc about some related subjects in the /Documentation
directory of the downloaded kernel... but it was so old and obsolete
that it was useless, dated 1998 and mentioning only lilo, not grub...
this in a recent kernel doc (2008-2009) !

update-initramfs maybe the tool you are after.
Google it or man it.
It should be installed on your system. Or you can install it with initramfs-tools.
Good luck.

  • Re: Grub2 and multiple boot different ubuntu versions
    ... I had a double boot setup with XP and Karmic. ... I installed Lucid Beta ... GRUB_DEFAULT as there are new kernels above it. ... the files) is to install startupmanager. ...
    (Ubuntu)
  • Re: Reqst: How get Fedora to boot
    ... After the BIOS loads and before the kernel loads, the bootloader runs. ... remembers the partition and path of the kernels. ... > it can boot the Linux OS that's installed on it? ... able to use something similar to the above in /etc/lilo.conf to install ...
    (linux.redhat.misc)
  • Re: Reqst: How get Fedora to boot
    ... After the BIOS loads and before the kernel loads, the bootloader runs. ... remembers the partition and path of the kernels. ... > it can boot the Linux OS that's installed on it? ... able to use something similar to the above in /etc/lilo.conf to install ...
    (comp.os.linux.setup)
  • Re: Reqst: How get Fedora to boot
    ... After the BIOS loads and before the kernel loads, the bootloader runs. ... remembers the partition and path of the kernels. ... > it can boot the Linux OS that's installed on it? ... able to use something similar to the above in /etc/lilo.conf to install ...
    (comp.os.linux)
  • Re: Does anyone have FC4 running on hp dv8000?
    ... >> I can't seem to get any kernels to boot, except the install CD/DVD. ... All Fedora 2.6.14.xxx kernels won't boot. ...
    (Fedora)