Re: eth0 and networkmanager

On Fri, Sep 11, 2009 at 05:27:26PM -0700, Arthur Barlow wrote:
I understand that NetworkManager was designed as a tool for the woeful state
of wireless connections and linux, but I'm using a workstation with a
"hard-wired" connection and networkmanager cannot seem to manage it. It
shows "ifupdown(eth0)" as being unmanaged, which I suppose is no big deal,
but it assumes that I'm not connected. Therefore, whenever I launch
Epiphany it starts up "off line" as it assumes I'm not connected. Is there
a simple fix for this?

The prevailing wisdom on this list seems to be to remove network
manager. It will take the gnome meta package with it, but other than
that you shouild have no problems.

or, I believe you can just remove any "allow hotplug" lines from
/etc/network/interfaces to get a similar effect, but then, since
network mangler won't be actually doing anything, what is the point in
having it around?

  • Re: SBS Slow user logons problem
    ... Also a detailed description of your network connections will help ... in if the workstation they are loging into is connected to the network. ... I have deleted the Reverse DNS zone on the SBS server and recreated it. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: How many differences, categories?
    ... >> relocate the pattern by a process similar to the one we used to ... Network logic is counterintuitive. ... In theory the limit to the number of connections per node ... As Kauffman varied this connectivity parameter in his generic networks, ...
    (sci.cognitive)
  • Re: win XP Pro SP2 with latest RDP. Workgroup vs. domain
    ... I do not need to setup RDP port forwarding in the Belkin router. ... the firewall did have in the exceptions screen "Remote Desktop" ... think that the "Allow remote connections RDP" and/or having the firewall RDP ... for network connections. ...
  • Re: [Fwd: Re: Mainframe not a good architecture for interactive was Re: What is the future of COBOL
    ... programmers do not understand the inner working of CICS and that CICS ... does not keep track of ALL terminals in a mainframe network. ... >> to a Web Server, this means that for an equal number of clients, a Web ... >>server is keeping track of 5 times the connections. ...
    (comp.lang.cobol)
  • "A duplicate name exists on the network"
    ... I appears that the duplicate name is actually my server ... Network Places under a single Desktop. ... The workstation name is different than the workgroup name which is just ... Other connections to the hub include an HP ...
    (microsoft.public.win2000.general)