Re: OT: mutt/nano spell checking

---- Original Message ----
From: cjns1989@xxxxxxxxx
To: debian-user@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: OT: mutt/nano spell checking
Date: Wed, 07 Oct 2009 18:26:22 -0400

On Wed, Oct 07, 2009 at 10:47:51AM EDT, owens@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:

[..]

+1. I teach C in a Debian environment and my students (most of
whom
have never used *nix) use nano.

Probably a good choice, since you teach C, not editing. By the time
you'd finished teaching them Vim, there would be not time left for
anything else. :-)

But even if you teach C for a living and are on a tight schedule, I
hope
you find the time to mention that once they finish the class there
are
other options.

Even if once your own, we know that more often than not, a
programmer's
job means diving into vast amounts of pre-existing code, and that's
where a capable editor that seamlessly supports tags, cscope,
windowing
a directory explorer, tabs, an integrated compile cycle, and
navigating
efficiently through tens of thousands of lines of code eventually
means
more to their lifetsyle than mastering the intricacies of
sprintf(char
*str, size_t size..)

Not sure about the dividends that nano will pay in this respect.

Yeah, I know, in the real world, your former students will have
little
choice but use the IDE that their boss's boss's boss happens to
favor.
And since she's not likely Bram's or RMS's girlfriend, I guess it
doesn't really matter.

-1

CJ

Thanks for the observations Chris. You have correctly surmised that
I don't have time to teach Linux, C AND a complex editor. I decided
that the first two were the most important. I do mention the other
editors and the fact that vi is probably the most universal editor,
but they stick to something simple during the course.
Larry
ebian.org

  • Re: How to change a gateway? [solved]
    ... just change the gateway line with an editor. ... Having googled my finger off, ... router without further trouble. ... To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: Software For Book Writing
    ... the persons who care about feedom more than about money ... and then let the editor know ... an editor whose submission rules are acceptable. ... To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: source code editor
    ... If you are learning a new editor, learn vim instead of vi. vim is ... powerful and not bloated editor. ... The compile I did on BSD ... To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: What am I missing without mutt?