Re: c++ features

On Thu, Oct 08 2009, Gabor Urban wrote:

Hi,

the main point of C++ and Linux, that you may have a large number of
tools to use. SOme prefer IDE tools, like KDevelop for example, but
some prefer standard language sensitive editor which support code
writing, compiling, debugging. I would suggest to use Emacs or Vim
(simple editors, but powerfull extensions).. :-))

Emacs 23 + CEDET seems to have all the features of of the so
called IDE's, including language specific parsers and semantic
analysis, so one may have the best of both worlds.

Also, if you want portable C++, you could try compiling with
this set of flags in your makefile:

## Debugging option for the compiler
CXXDEBUG=-g

## @brief Optimizing options
CXXOPTS=-pipe -O3 -g

## Warnings. You can never have too many warnings
CXXWARNS=-std=c++98 -pedantic -Wall \
-Wconversion -Wabi -Woverloaded-virtual \
-Wshadow -Wextra -Wpointer-arith \
-Wcast-qual -Wcast-align -Wwrite-strings \
-Wswitch-default -Wpacked -Wnormalized=nfc \
-Weffc++ -Wstrict-null-sentinel -Wctor-dtor-privacy \
-Wold-style-cast -Wsign-promo -Wmissing-include-dirs\
-Wfloat-equal -Wnon-virtual-dtor -Wformat=2 \
-Wformat-security -Wformat-nonliteral -Winit-self \
-Wuninitialized -Wswitch-enum -Wstrict-overflow=5 \
-Wundef -Dlint -ffor-scope \
-fno-gnu-keywords -fshort-enums -fno-common \
-Wmissing-field-initializers

And yes, this is from a live project, so I actually use these :-)

manoj
--
If God had intended Man to program, we'd be born with serial I/O ports.
Manoj Srivastava <srivasta@xxxxxxx> <http://www.golden-gryphon.com/>