RE: Installing XBMC on testing

From: thveillon.debian [mailto:thveillon.debian@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Tuesday, October 20, 2009 11:11 AM

Frank McCormick wrote:

Does anyone know how to get XBMC ( media centre app) installed on
Debian testing.
Apparently at least 2 of the libraries needed are not available for

I went as far as trying to install the Ubuntu Intrepid edition (this
has worked
for other software )but ran into the library problem.

BTW , seems to me the developers have "overlooked" Debian in favor of

Hi, what exactly are you trying to install, this works here (Squeeze

aptitude search ~S~i~nxbmc
i xbmc
i A xbmc-bin
i A xbmc-data
i A xbmc-skin-pm3-hd

Installed directly from Sid.

That's cool that it's in debian-multimedia now, I had no idea. However, it appears that the build in d-m doesn't include VDPAU support.

It's been awhile since I've installed pre-built XBMC on my Debian machine, I usually build it from source. But if memory serves, it was pretty easy to install by pulling from the Hardy PPA repository of XBMC. i.e. add this to your /etc/apt/sources.list:

deb hardy main