RE: Installing XBMC on testing

From: thveillon.debian [mailto:thveillon.debian@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Tuesday, October 20, 2009 11:11 AM

Frank McCormick wrote:

Does anyone know how to get XBMC ( media centre app) installed on
Debian testing.
Apparently at least 2 of the libraries needed are not available for
Debian.

I went as far as trying to install the Ubuntu Intrepid edition (this
has worked
for other software )but ran into the library problem.

BTW , seems to me the developers have "overlooked" Debian in favor of
Ubuntu.

Hi, what exactly are you trying to install, this works here (Squeeze
amd64):

aptitude search ~S~i~nxbmc
i xbmc
i A xbmc-bin
i A xbmc-data
i A xbmc-skin-pm3-hd

Installed directly from Sid.

Tom

That's cool that it's in debian-multimedia now, I had no idea. However, it appears that the build in d-m doesn't include VDPAU support.

It's been awhile since I've installed pre-built XBMC on my Debian machine, I usually build it from source. But if memory serves, it was pretty easy to install by pulling from the Hardy PPA repository of XBMC. i.e. add this to your /etc/apt/sources.list:

deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/team-xbmc/ppa/ubuntu/ hardy main

    ... > newsgroup for Debian ... > forward to install to your hard drive. ... > to install the Cygwin stuff on all my Windows boxes. ... like in an SSH client like PuTTY ?? ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: debian-user-digest Digest V2014 #1074
    ... checking the full error correction data. ... the devs and the users in debian is entirely inappropriate, ... Some packages could not be installed. ... I have just tried to install vlc on this laptop. ...
    (Debian-User)
  • RE: mouse
    ... I will give it a whirl ASAP. ... Is icew part of the debian install or is it from off the web? ... To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-request@lists.debian.org ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: Grub ... updating kernels
    ... I've been making and breaking 4 or 5 different Debian ... reinstalled one on an EXTERNAL hard drive for the first time. ... entirety of my setup at the moment of that particular install. ... To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: help to choose right printer to buy
    ... AFAICS, its ppd is not contained in Debian by default, but you can ... download it from the above page and install it equally easy using the ... To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx ...
    (Debian-User)