Re: A laptop installation challenge

Andrew Sackville-West wrote:
On Sun, Nov 01, 2009 at 11:16:55AM +0000, AG wrote:
[...]
I'm thinking that the way forward would be via the GRUB prompt I was
able to get off of an old floppy, but to do so would mean being able
to by-pass LILO and boot into the first partition on the HD (/), and
then go into LILO.conf and change it to accommodate the larger
kernel or dispense with LILO in favour of GRUB.

if you have a grub prompt, you may be in luck. You can do quite a lot
from a grub prompt. YOu don't even need to know the contents of the
partitions to make it work because it will do tab completion for you
(depending on the version, I suppose, but I don't know) as well as find.

Probably you need to do something like

root (hd0,1)
initrd /path/to/initrd
kernel /path/to/kernel kernel-opts here
boot

YOu'll probably have to play around with it, but on the assumption
that the *only* problem is the boot loader, any grub disk should get
you going.

Andrew

Thanks - that will be useful info to play around with just to see if I can get something to happen.

Lisi has already said that she'll send me a floppy with which I am hoping to turn this otherwise plastic hunk back into something usable.

One way or another, I'm hopeful for a happy ending to this particular matter :)

Cheers

AG

Relevant Pages

  • Re: installation problems
    ... RH 9 had trashed my Linux partition and rendered my PC unbootable. ... >you can create the floppy from and can be created on a differnet ... >on the CD as the floppy boot image. ... and since flash drives seem to be listed in /proc as scsi devices, ...
    (comp.os.linux.misc)
  • Re: xPC boot-up from hard drive
    ... The boot floppy was certainly easier... ... It's slow to boot up (and dependent on a floppy disk), ... All in all it means that using xPC Embedded Option with a "normal" PC ...
    (comp.soft-sys.matlab)
  • Re: re boot problem after replacing hard drive
    ... "mikec" wrote: ... It was one of the options available to me when floppy booted up. ... choice between windows xp and fastdetect. ... Firstly the good news, the boot floppy worked, yes I make good boot floppies ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: How can I completely wipe my entire system and do a fresh install
    ... Search for floppy image on web site. ... Boot with XP CD. ... >:> to partition and format your drive. ... > Go back to Normal Mode and install SP2 from a CD. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • RE: XP Install Using PXE/Imaging.
    ... You say you can't boot from the CDROM drive, so I suggest getting a USB hub, ... Boot from floppy, run NIC drivers so you can put the machine on the ... Put 2.5" HDD back into desktop and install XP. ...