Re: copying files from home directory on one machine to directory on another machine

Andrew M.A. Cater wrote:
On Sat, Nov 28, 2009 at 09:42:23PM +0200, Alexander Kaphuk wrote:
G'day,

I'd appreciate somebody pointing me where to look for info on how to copy files from a home directory on one machine to a directory on another machine via network.

I've got about 100GB of data I need to copy from my desktop running ubuntu 9.04 on to a laptop running Debian Squeeze which are both at my home.

I'm not even sure how to word it in just a few words so I can google it.

Thanking you all in advance.

Alexander Kapshuk.

Add rsync :)

Call the user Alex and the machines One and Two for this example [192.168.1.1 192.168.1.2]

If you can ssh from One to Two

ssh alex@One Two

or

ssh -l alex 192.168.1.2

mkdir mynewfiles

exit

On One

cd myfiles

rsync -pavz --delete . 192.168.1.2:/home/alex/myfiles/

[Copies from the current directory . to the distant directory].

-pavz - preserves permissions, archive, verbose, will try to compress files in transit if appropriate

If you don't have rsync, you can use scp -r to recursively copy almost identically - but the nice thing about
rsync is that it will restart cleanly, deleting partially copied files and preserves an internal manifest of which files are up to date. If your 100GB is subject to change in mid transfer, rsync will copy only the files which have changed and catch up.

Hope this helps,

All the best,

Andy

Thanks a lot for your input and the usage examples!

I've never done anything like that, so I'm open to any suggestions and am willing to give every piece of advice I am given a try.

  • Re: copying files from home directory on one machine to directory on another machine
    ... copy files from a home directory on one machine to a directory on ... subject of "unsubscribe". ... If you can ssh from One to Two ... If you don't have rsync, you can use scp -r to recursively copy almost identically - but the nice thing about ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: rsync with crossover cable connection
    ... Can you ping one host from the other? ... with ssh and rsync yet. ... To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: Backing up FREEBSD
    ... If you have a spare machine with the diskspace neeeded then you might want to consider rsync over ssh. ... There's plenty to read about it if you Google for "Freebsd backing up rsync ssh ports". ... To unsubscribe, ...
    (freebsd-questions)
  • Re: ssh on lan by hostname instead of dynamic ip
    ... I use unison and rsync on my home LAN. ... But my router (on home LAN) assigns dynamic ip addresses. ... Is there a way to use ssh and rsync using hostname instead of ip ... To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: [SLE] Using rsync
    ... new using rsync, but certain files like .bash_history did not transfer. ... Whereas using it like this on 'src' works: ... machines and test by using rsh remote or ssh remote. ... I assume it is because in this instance my home directory is the 'root' ...
    (SuSE)