Re: copying files from home directory on one machine to directory on another machine

Alexander Kaphuk wrote:
Dave Witbrodt wrote:
Alexander Kaphuk wrote:
G'day,

I'd appreciate somebody pointing me where to look for info on how to copy files from a home directory on one machine to a directory on another machine via network.

I've got about 100GB of data I need to copy from my desktop running ubuntu 9.04 on to a laptop running Debian Squeeze which are both at my home.

I'm not even sure how to word it in just a few words so I can google it.

Maybe simplest way is using 'ssh'. You can also use 'rsync', but if you've never used either before then learning about 'ssh' is arguably more important than learning 'rsync'.

First read this:
http://wiki.debian.org/ssh

Then read about 'scp' (included with 'ssh'):
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secure_copy

HTH,
Dave W.

That's right. I've never used either tool before. Thanks a lot for the tip!

Sure. If you're in the mood to learn about every possibility...

You might also consider NFS: it allows you to mount directories from one machine on the other machine. If the userid's are the same on both machines, this would be terribly simple and would allow you set up the NFS mount using very few (of its long list of) options. If the userid's don't match, then you can:

a) mount with root privileges, copy the files, and change ownership
afterward using 'chown -R'

or b) mount with special NFS options to change the userid (and/or
groupid) -- I sometimes do this using a directory on my GUI
desktop, and then file copying automatically results in the
userid/groupid matching your user on the destination machine

Of course, NFS is not really an option if your source machine (or destination) is running Windows. [In that case, there's always
Samba! ;-) ]

Just food for thought,
DW

  • Re: Fedora 9: dbus problems with /home on nfs
    ... after gdm login of users on NFS. ... hard,intr solved most of the problems we had, and I make a practice of having the home directory NFS mounted at boot. ... the reason I went to mounting the home directory at boot instead of auto mounting, is that when gnome can't find one of it's config files it tries to create the default set and I would see some strange results** from that, but I never tried to separate the soft/auto mount problem, so it might have been solved by hard,intr. ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: Slow nfs mounts after sarge2etch upgrade
    ... And a few things in etch are rather cool, namely a working hibernate-disk and a much better support for my wireless lan card. ... I'm using guarddog and the NFS protocol was set up correctly. ... Also, "mount -a" doesn't seem to work, i have to mount each nfs share manually. ... To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx with a subject of "unsubscribe". ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: Shared Windows/Linux Drive Problems
    ... >My problem is a bit more tricky: I'd like to mount my vfat (shared with ... I would choose option 2 and mount it on /data(or in my case I would use ... Also at work my home directory is mounted via NFS. ...
    (Ubuntu)
  • lockd problems
    ... It would appear that my lockd is not configured properly for an NFS ... The issue is complicated by having the NFS mount bridge two ... locking its data base during transactions. ... To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx ...
    (Debian-User)
  • RE: NFS question (fixed)