Re: Migrating to Grub2 deletes kernel automagic updates and other settings
- From: Chris Jones <cjns1989@xxxxxxxxx>
- Date: Thu, 03 Dec 2009 16:06:59 -0500
On Thu, Dec 03, 2009 at 03:10:19PM EST, Tom H wrote:
Is the os-prober package installed?
They may or may not be an os-prober package but when it comes to grub,
os-prober is a script in /etc/grub.d (/etc/grub.d/30_os-prober). If it
is executable, it will add the kernels that it finds to
/boot/grub/grub.cfg when update-grub is run.
I don't like the idea of grub building its .cfg file from bits and
pieces of grub-legacy, or lilo stuff that may live on other
So, I let it happen once to build grub.cfg and copied all the stanzas
from other systems to /etc/grub.d/40_custom, modified them to my
liking, deactivated os-prober by making the script in /etc/grub.d/ '-x',
and ran update-grub.
I do the same. All my entries are in 40_custom and 10_linux and
30_os-prober are not executable.
Way to go if you'd rather stay out of trouble.
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
- Prev by Date: Re: Fatal: Only RAID1 devices are supported as boot devices
- Next by Date: Re: Fatal: Only RAID1 devices are supported as boot devices
- Previous by thread: Re: Migrating to Grub2 deletes kernel automagic updates and other settings
- Next by thread: CONFIG_SYSFS_DEPRECATED