Re: VGA cards

On Tue, Dec 15, 2009 at 10:50, Camaleón <noelamac@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Tue, 15 Dec 2009 10:20:29 -0800, Kelly Clowers wrote:

On Tue, Dec 15, 2009 at 07:43, Camaleón wrote:

(...)

Both, ATI and Nvidia are quite the same: they do not provide a complete
access to their hardware specifications and just provide closed source
drivers.

ATI provides complete access to the hardware specs, Nvidia provides no
access at all.

Both, ATI and nvidia "closed drivers" are being rejected at the same
level by kernel developers that think this is not the way to go.

Of course, the closed drivers are really pointless in the long run.

Both, ATI and nvidia "free drivers" (nv/nouveau and radeon/radeonhd)
still lack the same functionality level that the closed driver
counterpart.

Nouveau of course lags well behind, as they have to reverse
engineer everything. But the Radeon driver does rather well
against Catalyst/fglrx, mainly losing in perf and support for the
newest cards, while continuing to improve rapidly.

ATI provides even a worst scenario to some people that cannot get their
old cards working at all, neither with free drivers nor closed drivers
which do not support "legacy models").

As for old ATI cards that don't work with the OSS driver, those
are simply bugs that need to be fixed, and there is no reason
they can't be fixed (since we have the docs), aside from man
power, maybe. (Unless we are talking pre-Radeon I guess,
but I can't bring myself to be very bothered about cards that
old).

So in fact, we get from ATI no much more than from nvidia :-/

On the contrary, ATI gives us all this: http://www.x.org/docs/AMD/
and Intel gives us at least this: http://www.x.org/docs/intel/
But Nvidia gives nothing at all.

Cheers,
Kelly Clowers

  • ATI DRIVERS
    ... Ati Video Drivers ... Ati Radeon 9200 Drivers ... Ati Rage 128 Pro Drivers ...
    (comp.programming)
  • ATI DRIVERS
    ... Ati Video Drivers ... Free Ati Radeon Display Drivers ... Compaq Presario Video Drivers Ati ...
    (sci.data.formats)
  • Re: PCIE video cards and DRI
    ... >Nvidia and ATI closed source drivers when used with PCI-Express ... I have set up a number of Linux boxes with Nvidia and ATI ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: RAGE ??? HELP
    ... All the very latest drivers. ... but most nVidia owners had a great time with it from day one. ... Read my post why I picked a ATI card this time. ... So essentially, the only AAA OpenGL game I can think of these days, RAGE, ...
    (comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action)
  • Re: Laptop Recommendations?
    ... I've avoided Nvidia to avoid the displeasure of trying to get kernel ... your problem without the proprietary drivers loaded. ... desktop environments) to work anytime soon on my ATI card, ... ATI has stopped providing decent proprietary/closed source video ...
    (Debian-User)