Re: VGA cards

On Tue, 15 Dec 2009 14:12:58 -0800, Kelly Clowers wrote:

On Tue, Dec 15, 2009 at 13:48, Camaleón wrote:

So what, you want AMD to hire a bunch of devs to write a complete open
source driver? They can't afford to do that.

They couldn't do that... although they wanted.

AMD has not released the full 3D specifications for their drivers, only
*partial documentation* for some of their chipsets, so even with 100
dedicated engineers working on ATI drivers, we still have an incomplete
open source driver.

What? Where did you get that? 100 dedicated devs would be absurd for any
driver, and their sure aren't that many in the case of ATI.

That "100 people" was just a "supposition", sir :-)

There are a
few (like 3 or 4 I think) people employed to do work on ATI drivers, I
don't know that those are their only duties. And then there are a
handful of people that do some work in their free time.

Arguably even more than docs, a shortage of developer-hours is a major
problem for all Xorg related work.

Just 3 or 4 people should be enough if they could get access to the full
specs for the hardware. But that is not the case.

From AMD website [1]:

***
Is complete driver source code available?

(...)

That is simple referring to their closed source drivers.

Which are the only ones having full 3D support and capabilities.

The only thing
I know of that has actually been held back is some of the MPEG
acceleration stuff, since ATI implements it by licensing patents from
MPEG-LA . AFAIK, anything else that has not been released is due to the
docs not actually existing in a coherent form, or they are still being
cleared by the legal department.

And do you find that a "linux-friendly" approach?

The status of the supported capabilities by "radeon" and "radeonhd"
drivers is as follows:

http://xorg.freedesktop.org/wiki/RadeonFeature

http://xorg.freedesktop.org/wiki/radeonhd%3Afeature

Does not look so good.

I am not seeing here nothing but the same "arguments" provided by
nvidia and other supposed "linux-friendly" hardware vendors out there.

I don't know that anyone has called Nvidia "Linux friendly".

No, but at least nvidia clearly says what is their thinking about this.

What they have done is fantastic and really about the very best that
can reasonably be expected.

Well, yes.

But AMD could do more for its Linux users and in fact, does not :-(

Yes and no? What is this, a quantum superposition?

I agree that Xorg people have done a very good job (by their own) with
radeon/radeonhd drivers.

But I have to disagree in regards AMD/ATI. It's not a linux-friendly
company and has not released the full specs for their vga cards. Just
some papers. In these days, that's not enough.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón