Re: Debian Etch Install

Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. wrote:
In <4B30E4EE.7010503@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Johannes Wiedersich wrote:
They are not supported by the "Debian installer kernel".
They have to be installed *seperately*.

This is neither true, nor desired. Any module meeting the kernel ABI is
supported by the kernel. Debian currently also distributes non-free firmware,
which could be considered part of the driver, that can be loaded by the
"Debian installer kernel" even if they are not part of the Debian OS and do
not receive the same level of support.

The proprietary video drivers for NVidia cards are supported by the Debian
kernel and distributed by Debian, but they are not part of the Debian OS nor
do they receive the same level of (human) support.

Thanks for pointing that out. I meant to write "included" instead of
"supported" with respect to the kernel of the Debian installer. Sorry
for causing any confusion.

- --

Three nations have not officially adopted the International System
of Units as their primary or sole system of measurement: Burma,
Liberia, and the United States.
Version: GnuPG v1.4.9 (GNU/Linux)

  • Re: Noob Question :-/ ....
    ... I know almost for certain that the *BSD's do not support ... (I'm following your example from ad4s1; ordinarily with a Linux kernel ... is there some specific reason why you want to run Debian with a FreeBSD ... had OpenBSD on there a couple of years ago, admittedly w/ no NFS, also ...
  • Re: Request for Hardware Compatability Resources.
    ... | These motherboards alone are priced around $100.00 Canadian, ... | How would you compare these two for use with Debian. ... | Would one grep in the kernel source? ... info on the VT8235 support. ...
  • debian installer does not recognize uli sata controller
    ... i am refering to a post from july 2005 in debian-user ("Debian Installer ... SATA detection"). ... which is shipped with the kernel. ...
  • Re: Debian Wheezy - Kernel 3.2.X - Broadcom 57766 driver support
    ... I'm running debian wheezy with custom 3.7.1 kernel to support my ... However since this is a server I would rather use a ... Just thought maybe I was lucky and some user had created a patch for tg3.h/tg3.c to back port the support.. ... Would just prefer to have debian auto-updated kernel on a server, compared to manual patching to keeping up-to-date.. ...
  • Re: VIA VT8237A Southbridge Advice
    ... I went to and started looking through the change logs wondering if perhaps I'd be able to find something about support being added to the kernel for this chipset. ... And found the following two snippets that seem to indicate that there is support in the kernel for this southbridge as of the 2.6.19 kernel. ... Debian uses the 2.6.18 kernel. ...