Re: [Fwd: Re: Getting connected to Verizon 3G network -UPDATE] {SOLVED}

Wayne <linuxtwo@xxxxxxxxx> put forth on 1/2/2010 6:28 PM:

Yes and I can connect to the internet with and without the firewall up.
I have more to do on the firewall though. I can't connect to the MiFi
admin page at 192.168.1.1 with the firewall on. So, you are right on
all points. Get the firewall working and 'then' fix everything else.

No, that's backwards. You must have misspoken. You must have the basic network
stack functioning before you can troubleshoot packet filter problems. This is
exactly what you've just gone through. You didn't know your basic stack was
working _until_ you disabled the f/w. That unmasked the minor problems you
still had with your basic network stack and informed you there was a f/w problem
as well.

Stan, thanks to you for hanging on and getting me to check everything
you could think of. If it had not been for you, I would have been f o r
e v e r wondering what was up.

You're welcome. If I'd have been paying closer attention in the beginning, I'd
have caught that log error about permissions. Sorry I didn't catch that sooner.

If you do not have a HAPPY and Prosperous New Year it sure will not be
because you didn't stick to it.

Heheh. Your gratitude has given my new year a good start. :) I didn't really
do all that much, but I'm glad it helped a little.

My heart felt thanks for you for all of your help.

My BEST Regards to you and yours for the best year ever.

Ditto. Enjoy that fresh air up there whilst you're surfing reliably with a
little bit better speed. I bet the Verizon service sure beats the latency of
satellite don't it? ;)

--
Stan

  • Re: [Fwd: Re: Getting connected to Verizon 3G network -UPDATE] {SOLVED}
    ... I have more to do on the firewall though. ... stack functioning before you can troubleshoot packet filter problems. ... You got me to back off and troubleshoot the way I was taught in the AF back in 1956, divide and conqueror, go back till the symptom goes away then work back towards the problem. ... To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx with a subject of "unsubscribe". ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: Simplest way to deny access to a class C
    ... I guess that I will install a firewall, that way I can also block those ... To unsubscribe, ... "This email is intended to be reviewed by only the intended recipient ...
    (freebsd-questions)
  • Re: What does a firewall do?
    ... > operating system, and naturally it will have an IP stack. ... > kinds of protection a really good firewall could be expected to provide. ... provide a port proxy service by implemeting network address translation, ... migrate naturally to the network stack, however, I say it's high time to ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)
  • Re: Zombie spamming from my PC, Symantec/Spybot, nothing detects it!
    ... "The instant you are without a firewall, you're vulnerable,". ... We are_not_ talking about vulnerabilities that may be there but are ... If the IP stack is vulnerable then the firewall ... The problem of IP stack attacks have nothing to do with ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)
  • Re: Services / Runlevel editor
    ... involve the process of shutting them all off by hand. ... if I go somewhere else, I may not have my hardware firewall, so I ... To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx ...
    (Debian-User)