Re: Using LightScribe on Debian? <Getting OT now>

On Tue, 05 Jan 2010 15:54:36 -0800
Bob McGowan <bob_mcgowan@xxxxxxxxxxxx> dijo:

John Jason Jordan wrote:
I still want to be able to put an image on a CD or DVD, but I guess
the only way to do that properly is with an inkjet. But if I do it
only once every few months I'll have clogged jets, wasted ink from
cleaning, and constant headaches.
If there was an inexpensive color laser printer that would do optical
media that would be great.

The only way I know to get a color image on the back of a CD/DVD is to
use an Inkjet printer that can feed the disk through the print
mechanism.
I know these are available and I expect it is what Paul was referring
to, and what you mentioned a couple of posts ago regarding clogging
jets.
Unfortunately, there's no other way I know of to get a color print on
the disk.

My desktop computer has two Lightscribe DVD drives. I paid extra for
them hoping that they would do what I want, but since they are
grayscale only, the Lighscribe feature remains virtually unused.
(Although I did get them working back when I was running Ubuntu - and
I'm sure they can be made to work under Debian as well.)

My motivation is different from what most people want. I want to make
distro CDs and OpenOffice.org CDs that look official.

I am a university student and quite often I encounter students who are
interested in FOSS, especially OOo. In the past I have given them a CD
with the software on it, only to discover that they never installed it.
Following up I discovered that the reason they never installed it is
from fear. Windows users are terrified of malware, and they know
nothing and trust even less. If I had a CD that looked like an official
install CD it would really help.

You have no idea how computer illiterate today's university students
are. Here is a recent exchange:

Grad student: I've heard about Linux and I want to try it.
Me: No problem. Here is a live CD of Ubuntu.
Grad student: Oh, I can do it now. I can't install any more
programs because my husband used up all
the memory. I have to wait until I can afford
to get a new computer with more memory.

I am not making this up. And I can add that professors are not a whole
lot more savvy.

I have discovered that getting them to Linux is too big a step for
most. But getting them to install OOo is much more doable. Once they
get comfortable with OOo I have a better chance of nudging them to
go all the way to Linux. But they're too scared to install OOo from a CD
scribbled on with a sharpie. And, curiously, the OOo organization does
not sell CDs with OOo on them. (Why?) I can get them commercially, but
the cost is too high. Hence my desire to make pretty CDs. In fact,
there are places at the university where I could make a cardboard stand
with CDs in it and a big poster explaining what it's all about.