File system for linux and windows

Hi,

This may not be debian-specific question, but with the group expertise, I think this would be a good reference for anybody.

I think this question has been debated a lot but still there is no clear
information on what to do.

The question is, if you want to share data between linux and windows what is the best file system to use[plus adding security complexity].

Using Ext3 on windows is good but has its limitations. This does not work
unless the ext3 file system is on a partition. The limitation comes when
using applications like freeOTFE which can read LUKS volumes. The volume is mounted as a drive but not detected as a disk by any of the written
ext3 drivers in windows.

Using NTFS on linux and windows is cool. I have consistently seen that when there are large number of files, undoubtably, ntfs volume goes corrupt and chkdsk simply removes files and creates data loss. I do not have any clue on when the FS goes corrupt (either when writing using linux or when using in windows - Used ntfs (kernel), ntfs-3g ... all in vain).

Anyone can recommend VFAT. FAT32 being supported by XP and well supported by linux makes it a good candidate. The problem with FAT32, I guess (correct me if I am wrong), there is no support for case-sensitive file names in the FAT32 file system.

So, the question... what FS to use which is good and reliable in both windows and also linux ?

Is there any file system in linux which can work in windows also (meaning it can be read and optionally written-to in windows even if the
FS is not in a partition) ?

Bhasker C V
Registered linux user #306349

  • Re: What is a MVP?
    ... I made no claim about my person other than I worked as support for Unix ... Windows is like a platform. ... Do I consider you to be yet another Linux troll?.. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: Improvement in Freeview tuning functionality
    ... difficult in Windows too, of course, but, as my post and the following ... Sorry, but are you claiming that with all linux distros, etc, it isn't ... support to a limited number of models, ... The second method is to take all the installation mechanisms of the OS ...
    (uk.tech.digital-tv)
  • RE: Windows 98 box is owned
    ... even though I still have to convert my wife and parents over to Linux, ... > longer have support in the future. ... Windows PC's require a lot of overhead to keep ... >>2) Install ZoneAlarm. ...
    (Security-Basics)
  • Re: Ive dumped Linux and moved to Windows XP.
    ... > Presumably Windows own 'Add/Remove programmes' does not qualify? ... is that 3rd party support is king. ... apps at a time when everyone else kept their systems proprietary. ... And no, linux doesn't fulfill all of these requirements, ...
    (sci.electronics.design)
  • Re: Ive dumped Linux and moved to Windows XP.
    ... > Presumably Windows own 'Add/Remove programmes' does not qualify? ... is that 3rd party support is king. ... apps at a time when everyone else kept their systems proprietary. ... And no, linux doesn't fulfill all of these requirements, ...
    (alt.os.linux)