nm-applet requests secrets for non-secured network

Good morning-

I am trying to move away from using ifup/ifdown and manually editing /etc/network/interfaces to manage the wireless network on my laptop. For reasons I can't change, the wireless network I'm connecting to is open (no security). It works fine with the entry in /etc/network/interfaces using:

wireless-essid <ESSID>
wireless-key off

and when it shows up in the list under the network-manager applet in gnome, the security icon is *not* displayed.

However, when I attempt to connect to the network using network manager, a dialog comes up that says:

Authentication required by wireless network
Passwords or encryption keys are required to access the wireless network '<ESSID>'.

Wireless security: (drop-down box: None)

the only option is "None," the "connect" button is grayed out, and "cancel" is the only actual option.

The log shows:

Feb 1 22:19:33 fanon NetworkManager: <info> Activation (wlan0) starting connection 'Auto <ESSID>'
Feb 1 22:19:33 fanon NetworkManager: <info> (wlan0): device state change: 3 -> 4 (reason 0)
Feb 1 22:19:33 fanon NetworkManager: <info> Activation (wlan0) Stage 1 of 5 (Device Prepare) scheduled...
Feb 1 22:19:33 fanon NetworkManager: <info> Activation (wlan0) Stage 1 of 5 (Device Prepare) started...
Feb 1 22:19:33 fanon NetworkManager: <info> Activation (wlan0) Stage 2 of 5 (Device Configure) scheduled...
Feb 1 22:19:33 fanon NetworkManager: <info> Activation (wlan0) Stage 1 of 5 (Device Prepare) complete.
Feb 1 22:19:33 fanon NetworkManager: <info> Activation (wlan0) Stage 2 of 5 (Device Configure) starting...
Feb 1 22:19:33 fanon NetworkManager: <info> (wlan0): device state change: 4 -> 5 (reason 0)
Feb 1 22:19:33 fanon NetworkManager: <info> Activation (wlan0/wireless): access point 'Auto <ESSID>' has security, but secrets are required.
Feb 1 22:19:33 fanon NetworkManager: <info> (wlan0): device state change: 5 -> 6 (reason 0)
Feb 1 22:19:33 fanon NetworkManager: <info> Activation (wlan0) Stage 2 of 5 (Device Configure) complete.

Here's the kicker: changing the AP to a different ESSID and connecting to that one works fine! I therefore think there's something stored on the laptop that is making it "guess" that it needs security secrets. I've wiped out ~/.gconf/apps/nm-applet with no luck.

System information:
Laptop is a Lenovo X61 tablet. Wireless is a built in Atheros AR5212 which uses the ath5k driver. Kernel is the stock debian 2.6.32-trunk-amd64. network-manager is version 0.7.2-2.

Thanks for any pointers!

  • Re: tired of freezing to death outdoors!!- help!
    ... > The advert literature does not state the broadcast range of the remote ... > to increase the broadcast range of the the remote laptop, ... > laptop with the wireless network card, ... my own software for telescope control. ...
    (sci.astro.amateur)
  • RE: Port scan and scvhost overload
    ... addresses that are not routable on the Internet). ... pestering them with a ports can for fun. ... what I was able to find out Before the laptop mysteriously shutdown, ... The siblings all use the same wireless network (Wi-Fi processes found in ...
    (Security-Basics)
  • Re: ? for notebook users
    ... I didn't mind the laptop being slow, but it also slowed down my two desktop computers. ... I think for my intended use, for Martha to use to study and for me to check mail and eBay when traveling, it will be okay. ... The wireless network is running at 54 something or other. ... One other issue could be the amount of RAM installed. ...
    (sci.med.transcription)
  • Security and Ad Hoc Wireless Network.
    ... I want to set up a simple, ad hoc wireless network between my laptop ... really need to know what I can do to approach the level of security I ... now have using a cable between the two machines. ...
  • Laptop on home and office networks
    ... I have a laptop and we have a wireless network at work and I ... am set up as a member of the domain to access the server, ... I also have a wireless network at home with two other computers besides my ...