Re: Fwd: Scanners

On 3 February 2010 14:28, Camaleón <noelamac@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Wed, 03 Feb 2010 01:59:31 +0100, Stuckey wrote:

I'm looking to purchase a scanner. I've looked at the supported hardware
list on http://www.sane-project.org though there are many listed there
and I know nothing about scanners. The list also doesn't list the last
time it was updated.

Perhaps someone here can recommend a model or brand with which they have
personal experience.

What are your scanning requirements? Do you have any device in mind?

I prefer stand-alone scanners instead those "all-in-one" but I have to
admit that "combos" can be useful under some circumstances (litte space
in home or low budget). One point they have in favour is that they
usually include the ADF at no extra cost :-)

As per brands and models, it will heavily depend on your specific needs.
If "none" applies, most people under Linux is reporting success with
HPLIP drivers (printing, scanning and fax), but there many others that
can fit under your requirements (Epson, Brother, Canon...).

Just take into account that support for these devices varies *a lot*
under Linux: be sure that your exact model is detected and works fine
with any of the drivers available out there (hplip, sane backends, iscan -
avasys-...).

Our all-in-one HP 4255 works great in *buntu, so it is safe to assume
Debian support. Highly recommended if you don't need a flat bed.

--
Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il

Please CC me if you want to be sure that I read your message. I do not
read all list mail.

  • Re: Fwd: Scanners
    ... HPLIP drivers, but there many others that ... Just take into account that support for these devices varies *a lot* ... under Linux: be sure that your exact model is detected and works fine ... To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: Fwd: Scanners
    ... three years of use and counting with Full support on Debian. ... HPLIP drivers, but there many others that ... under Linux: be sure that your exact model is detected and works fine ... To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: [opensuse] Why are there not more using Linux?