RE: Looking for: A quick how to make a deb from a (kernel) rpm

Date: Mon, 8 Feb 2010 17:17:37 -0500
From: zlinuxman@xxxxxxxxxx
To: debian-user@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Looking for: A quick how to make a deb from a (kernel) rpm

On Mon, 8 Feb 2010 16:44:23 -0500 (EST), Stephen Powell wrote:
I guess I'm getting old and can't see.

OK, let's try again. I did find this package

I have already created a xen-hypervisor-3.4.2-amd64 deb binary, but I trust the work of the Debian community more then mine :)

But this is the hypervisor only, not the dom0 kernel that
needs to go with it. I also found this thread on
the debian-devel mailing list archive for January of 2010:

Thank you! I believe you have found me a solution for a dom0 kernel, although it does not involve splitting open the rpm packages. I will know when I get some time to read up on git kernel tree revision control.

Pasi Kärkkäinen wrote:
By the way they now have a gitorious mirror so there is no need to
download rpm's and extract the patches from them.
If my assumptions are correct I should be able to download a snapshot of a supported kernel source from and patches (to xenify) the source code from the git tree. After compiling the patched source code into a -xen kernel I will make a binary deb package.

Keep following the thread with the "Thread Next" link.
It may provide some useful information.