RE: Looking for: A quick how to make a deb from a (kernel) rpm

Date: Mon, 8 Feb 2010 17:17:37 -0500
From: zlinuxman@xxxxxxxxxx
To: debian-user@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Looking for: A quick how to make a deb from a (kernel) rpm

On Mon, 8 Feb 2010 16:44:23 -0500 (EST), Stephen Powell wrote:
I guess I'm getting old and can't see.

OK, let's try again. I did find this package

http://packages.debian.org/squeeze/xen-hypervisor-3.4-amd64

I have already created a xen-hypervisor-3.4.2-amd64 deb binary, but I trust the work of the Debian community more then mine :)

But this is the hypervisor only, not the dom0 kernel that
needs to go with it. I also found this thread on
the debian-devel mailing list archive for January of 2010:

Thank you! I believe you have found me a solution for a dom0 kernel, although it does not involve splitting open the rpm packages. I will know when I get some time to read up on git kernel tree revision control.

On http://lists.xensource.com/archives/html/xen-users/2010-01/msg00592.html

Pasi Kärkkäinen wrote:
By the way they now have a gitorious mirror so there is no need to
download rpm's and extract the patches from them.

http://gitorious.org/opensuse/kernel-source/commits/master
If my assumptions are correct I should be able to download a snapshot of a supported kernel source from kernel.org and patches (to xenify) the source code from the git tree. After compiling the patched source code into a -xen kernel I will make a binary deb package.

Keep following the thread with the "Thread Next" link.
It may provide some useful information.

-M

  • [UNIX] Kmail HTML Support Allows Spoofing of Emails Content
    ... Get your security news from a reliable source. ... system call handler in the 2.4 Linux Kernel on the AMD64 platform a local attacker can gain root access using a simple program. ... it contains the sources that the binary kernel rpm packages are created from. ... Since the kernel-source.rpm is an installable package that contains sources for the linux kernel, it is not the source RPM for the kernel RPM binary packages. ...
    (Securiteam)
  • Re: System cannot come back from suspend (Fedora 9)
    ... |> still good to know and use rpm. ... | and it removes everything that was in the original installed package. ... So it's possible that I nailed something in the kernel, ... be surprised given that the kernel always installs as a new ...
    (comp.os.linux.misc)
  • Re: Wireless Config
    ... > should be the kernel source wrapped in an RPM package ... > AIUI) packages from which you can build your own binary RPM package. ...
    (comp.os.linux.hardware)
  • Re: Cant get pc speaker to work.
    ... a little about tweaking rpm packages. ... There is a package kernel-source, which is not the same thing as the ... kernel source package. ... All rpm packages have a source package. ...
    (comp.os.linux.setup)
  • Re: Probably stupid question, but
    ... Flash is in the repos. ... The package contains a script that downloads ... If you manually install it, ... If you need a RT kernel for CAD/CAM work, fine, run the RT ...
    (Ubuntu)