Re: network-manager not connecting automatically anymore

On Thu, 2010-02-11 at 16:16 -0500, Tom H wrote:
If you are using NM, you should not have anything in /e/n/i except for:
<begin>
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback
<end>
unless you change a setting in a file
/etc/NetworkManager
I do not have NM installed but I think that the file is "nmsomething"
and the setting to change is "managed."
I am sorry that I cannot be more precise.

That's right, it's explaing in http://wiki.debian.org/NetworkManager

I have "allow-hotplug eth0" in /etc/network/interfaces, so the wired
network is still brought up if I boot into single user mode.

Having "managed=true" in /etc/NetworkManager/nm-system-settings.conf
means Network Manager will do the right thing and update the network
status when plugging and unplugging my laptop.

It's possible to both have your cake and eat it. :-)

The new Network Manager version also seems to not drop the network
connections any more when I log out or shutdown either. This means any
network filesystems I have mounted don't have their connection whipped
away from under them, which was causing long timeout delays during
shutdown. :-)

--
Tixy

  • Re: Shuting down all client users(WinXP) with just one action in SBS2000.
    ... the server to run a batchfile when reverting to battery power. ... I have a network with SBS2000 and about 15 XP clients. ... users so they close all they are doing and shutdown their machines. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: The effect of 8K cluster size (FAT32) on the performance of an SSD
    ... times since I made the partition swap seems to have shortened from the ... the shutdown operation has varied between either a 7 second interval ... the shorter shutdown sequence whilst anything over an hour would ... Disabling the network interface seemed to be the key to this odd ...
    (uk.comp.homebuilt)
  • Re: Force user to log off network
    ... are logged in on just knowing the user name. ... If you know it's computer you can use the shutdown.exe to reboot or ... So disable the user account and shutdown, ... I need to log off a user from my company's network today, ...
  • Re: Network manager doesnt autoconnect to wireless networks in stable?