Re: network-manager not connecting automatically anymore

On Thu, 2010-02-11 at 16:16 -0500, Tom H wrote:
If you are using NM, you should not have anything in /e/n/i except for:
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback
unless you change a setting in a file
I do not have NM installed but I think that the file is "nmsomething"
and the setting to change is "managed."
I am sorry that I cannot be more precise.

That's right, it's explaing in

I have "allow-hotplug eth0" in /etc/network/interfaces, so the wired
network is still brought up if I boot into single user mode.

Having "managed=true" in /etc/NetworkManager/nm-system-settings.conf
means Network Manager will do the right thing and update the network
status when plugging and unplugging my laptop.

It's possible to both have your cake and eat it. :-)

The new Network Manager version also seems to not drop the network
connections any more when I log out or shutdown either. This means any
network filesystems I have mounted don't have their connection whipped
away from under them, which was causing long timeout delays during
shutdown. :-)