Re: debian/testing systems stopped to boot after upgrade between 20.02 and 22.02
- From: Sjoerd Hardeman <sjoerd@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
- Date: Tue, 23 Feb 2010 10:23:51 +0100
On Tue, 23 Feb 2010 08:48:31 +0100 wzab <wzab@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> sharedNo, else it would not be blank during boot
this with us all:
I have two different debian/testing systems. The common feature is the
Intel graphics chipset.
Both of them stopped to boot after upgrade which I performed between
20.02 and 22.02 (the last successful boot log is from the 20.02).
After this time the screen gets black during boot and machine doesn't
respond any more.
What's interesting - on one machine the 2.6.32 kernel boots correctly,
but the 18.104.22.168 doesn't (I attach configuration of both kernels)
It seems, that the problem may be associated with the changes to xorg
My problem, or what I thought was a problem, as well. I have postedThis sound like a wrong video mode for the console. Disable all splash screens, and remove lines like "vga=xxx", "vesafb=xxx" from the kernel options and modesetting lines from /etc/default/grub.conf, then rebuild and reinstall grub. This should give you a plain 80x25 character console. When this works you can try to enable the higher resolution video modes again.
about it here but I think this may be the new way that Debian wants
users to get to the login prompt?
The screen remains blank, but the machine is actually working, and
though you can see nothing it will take you to the login prompt. Just
watch the flickering light on the computer, when it stops I do this:
* type in the user name - then password, waiting a moment between
because I often type it too quickly before the login has registered
the user name and switched to password
* then type in startx
* You'll see your whole screen go from completely black without anything
to a shade of dark grey without anything, and then, in my case at
least, my ~/.xsession script cuts in, and xstarts
That x still works is because x uses different video settings.
Description: OpenPGP digital signature
- Prev by Date: Gridengine installation
- Next by Date: Re: Correct binary for Intel Core i5
- Previous by thread: Re: debian/testing systems stopped to boot after upgrade between 20.02 and 22.02
- Next by thread: Re: debian/testing systems stopped to boot after upgrade between 20.02 and 22.02