Re: debian/testing systems stopped to boot after upgrade between 20.02 and 22.02

On 2010-02-23, Sjoerd Hardeman <sjoerd@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
--------------enig8A6162A10A29BD9D157868EB

Charlie schreef:
On Tue, 23 Feb 2010 08:48:31 +0100 wzab <wzab@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> shared
this with us all:
=20
Hi,

I have two different debian/testing systems. The common feature is the=

Intel graphics chipset.
Both of them stopped to boot after upgrade which I performed between
20.02 and 22.02 (the last successful boot log is from the 20.02).
After this time the screen gets black during boot and machine doesn't
respond any more.

What's interesting - on one machine the 2.6.32 kernel boots correctly,=

but the 2.6.32.8 doesn't (I attach configuration of both kernels)

It seems, that the problem may be associated with the changes to xorg
server?
No, else it would not be blank during boot

My problem, or what I thought was a problem, as well. I have posted
about it here but I think this may be the new way that Debian wants
users to get to the login prompt?
=20
The screen remains blank, but the machine is actually working, and
though you can see nothing it will take you to the login prompt. Just
watch the flickering light on the computer, when it stops I do this:
=20
* type in the user name - then password, waiting a moment between
because I often type it too quickly before the login has registered
the user name and switched to password
* then type in startx
* You'll see your whole screen go from completely black without anythin=
to a shade of dark grey without anything, and then, in my case at
least, my ~/.xsession script cuts in, and xstarts
This sound like a wrong video mode for the console. Disable all splash=20
screens, and remove lines like "vga=3Dxxx", "vesafb=3Dxxx" from the kerne=
l=20
options and modesetting lines from /etc/default/grub.conf, then rebuild=20
and reinstall grub. This should give you a plain 80x25 character=20
console. When this works you can try to enable the higher resolution=20
video modes again.
When I remove vga=773 from the /etc/default/grub, and then update-grub,
the problem is gone.
But after I restart the system, the console is the same as before(vga=773,
128x48), not a plain 80x25 characters.
So, surely the system supports this vga=773 resolution mode, I don't know
why it will cause a problem when I add vga=773 to the grub option.

Jeffrey