Re: Overwrite existing partition with zeros without hurting partition table? (Debian Lenny)

In <4B92A531.6090200@xxxxxxx>, Ron Johnson wrote:
On 2010-03-06 09:41, Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. wrote:
In <20100306015538.GP11387@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Jochen Schulz wrote:
Mark:
I hope there is a simple answer to this question (fingers crossed): how
do I overwrite an existing partition (hda2 for example) with all zeros
(essentially blanking the partition clean in preparation for installing
Lenny), without destroying the partition table?

Why do you think you need to blank the partition before installing
lenny? There *are* reasons to do that, but they have nothing to do with
the installation of a new OS.

(reiserfsck --rebuild-tree) has a nasty habit of necromancy. In
particular, it might link files from the old file system into lost+found.
It can also destroy the heck out of your file system if you happen to
store a reiserfs file system in a file. (e.g. [reiserfs] ->
/home/bss/Sid.qemu -> [reiserfs]).

Non sequiter?

Not really.

1. Old installation using one of more reiserfs file systems.
2. Install Lenny without wiping; use one or more reiserfs file systems.
3. Worst-case scenario file system failure.
4. (reiserfsck --rebuild-tree) -> Links files from the old file system into
the new file system.

If you are going to put reiserfs on a block device, it is not overly cautious
to erase the block device, to avoid (reiserfsck --rebuild-tree) from
performing necromancy.
--
Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. ,= ,-_-. =.
bss@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx ((_/)o o(\_))