Re: Overwrite existing partition with zeros without hurting partition table? (Debian Lenny)

On 3/6/2010 11:20 PM, Stan Hoeppner wrote:
Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. put forth on 3/6/2010 9:11 PM:
If you are going to put reiserfs on a block device, it is not overly cautious
to erase the block device, to avoid (reiserfsck --rebuild-tree) from
performing necromancy.

One more reason not to use ReiserFS. The fact it was created by a convicted
murderer being the big one, obviously. Long before that, when Reiser was
the hype, I never jumped on the bandwagon. I stuck with EXT2 until moving
most things to XFS.

ReiserFS is okay. *Was* okay. I wouldn't use it *now*. But I find it curious that your chosen alternative is XFS.

Mark Allums

Ext4 is usable, provided one doesn't ever need to rescue. Current live CDs don't support it well (or mdRAID, or LVM2, either). So I use Ext3, and will continue to do so until either btrFS or ZFS is usable (and well-supported).

  • how can i extract data from mallfunction reiserfs parttion
    ... while reiserfsck --rebuild-tree it found lots of bad sectors so it didn't finish his work. ... get one bad block that the disk drive internals cannot hide from ... bad blocks and see if the drive remaps the bad blocks (that means ... To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx with a subject of "unsubscribe". ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Reiserfs corruption and KDM login problems
    ... I have a problem with my Sid system after an unplanned reboot due to a power ... says I need to do it manually using reiserfsck --rebuild-tree, ... fails, saying I need to use reiserfs --rebuild-sb, which also fails. ... To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: Need to remove a ghost file, but cant because it doesnt exist
    ... I've heard bad things about reiserfsck. ... resulting in occasinal hashed file systems. ... If you have trouble backing up that file (isn't that ... To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: Need to remove a ghost file, but cant because it doesnt exist
    ... Rumours I have heard about reiserfsck suggest to me that taking a backup ... managed that for a nonexistent file on an ext2 filesystem. ... command-line options on tar I could back up around it. ... To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx ...
    (Debian-User)