Debian 5 security issue

Hello.

In running sybaptic, to check for available system updates, I encountered the following message, and it is not the first time that I have encountered the message.

"Granted permissions without asking for password

The '/usr/sbin/synaptic' program was started with the privileges of the root user without the need to ask for a password, due to your system's authentication mechanism setup.

It is possible that you are being allowed to run specific programs as user root without the need for a password, or that the password is cached.

This is not a problem report; it's simply a notification to make sure you are aware of this."

I have not knowingly configured the system to institute this system security breach.

How do I eliminate this system security breach?

Thank you in anticipation.

--
Bret Busby
Armadale

you'll know what the answer means."
- Deep Thought,
Chapter 28 of Book 1 of
"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy:
A Trilogy In Four Parts",
written by Douglas Adams,
published by Pan Books, 1992

  • Re: Re: samba domain controller
    ... failing to resolve the name pdc.bollocks.com, even though it was able to ... I can see the shares and navigate them. ... I have a root user with a password. ... To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: Debian 5 security issue
    ... In running sybaptic, to check for available system updates, I encountered the following message, and it is not the first time that I have encountered the message. ... root user without the need to ask for a password, due to your system's authentication mechanism setup. ... To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx with a subject of "unsubscribe". ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: [OT] Incredible world-wide transportation network
    ... board, IBM 88 key keyboard, IBM 62.5 Watt PS that I had to upgrade to a ... 150 Watt soon after buying the drive, ... published by Pan Books, 1992 ... To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx with a subject of "unsubscribe". ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: Debian 5 security issue
    ... the root user without the need to ask for a password, ... this system security breach? ... I can't remember how, but it is a gnome option, available inside the GUI. ... To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx with a subject of "unsubscribe". ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: cant remove directory
    ... " as the root user? ... "> Sensory yours, Eugene Minkovskii ... " To unsubscribe, ...
    (freebsd-questions)