Debian 5 security issue

Hello.

In running sybaptic, to check for available system updates, I encountered the following message, and it is not the first time that I have encountered the message.

"Granted permissions without asking for password

The '/usr/sbin/synaptic' program was started with the privileges of the root user without the need to ask for a password, due to your system's authentication mechanism setup.

It is possible that you are being allowed to run specific programs as user root without the need for a password, or that the password is cached.

This is not a problem report; it's simply a notification to make sure you are aware of this."

I have not knowingly configured the system to institute this system security breach.

How do I eliminate this system security breach?

Thank you in anticipation.

--
Bret Busby
Armadale

you'll know what the answer means."
- Deep Thought,
Chapter 28 of Book 1 of
"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy:
A Trilogy In Four Parts",
written by Douglas Adams,
published by Pan Books, 1992

  • Re: Re: samba domain controller
    ... failing to resolve the name pdc.bollocks.com, even though it was able to ... I can see the shares and navigate them. ... I have a root user with a password. ... To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: Debian 5 security issue
    ... In running sybaptic, to check for available system updates, I encountered the following message, and it is not the first time that I have encountered the message. ... root user without the need to ask for a password, due to your system's authentication mechanism setup. ... To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx with a subject of "unsubscribe". ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: [OT] Incredible world-wide transportation network
    ... board, IBM 88 key keyboard, IBM 62.5 Watt PS that I had to upgrade to a ... 150 Watt soon after buying the drive, ... published by Pan Books, 1992 ... To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx with a subject of "unsubscribe". ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: Debian 5 security issue
    ... the root user without the need to ask for a password, ... this system security breach? ... I can't remember how, but it is a gnome option, available inside the GUI. ... To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx with a subject of "unsubscribe". ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: Debian Jessie Release
    ... Wheezy be when Jessie goes stable, how do you think it's going to be ... comes after Debian 7.x? ... published by Pan Books, 1992 ... To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx ...
    (Debian-User)