Re: aptitude lists linux-image-2.6.32-trunk-686 under Obsolete and Locally Created Packages?

On Mon,15.Mar.10, 20:08:02, Snood wrote:

You can then reboot into the new kernel and remove the obsolete
linux-image-2.6.32-trunk-686 package.

Thank you. I did this, rebooted into the new kernel, used aptitude
to remove the old one, and removed the obsolete kernel. Everything
is ticking along nicely.

In general I prefer to keep at least one different kernel version
installed, Just In Case, but in this particular case I too did get rid
of the -trunk- image ASAP because:

- it shouldn't have been uploaded to unstable in the first place
- it messes up the usual boot order (the most recent kernel first)
- I have enough kernels installed ;)

Regards,
Andrei

  • Re: aptitude lists linux-image-2.6.32-trunk-686 under Obsolete and Locally Created P
    ... it messes up the usual boot order (the most recent kernel first) ... I had basically two different odd scenarios going on among these four systems. ... Even the one that actually had the new kernel wasn't going to benefit from it if grub wasn't going to use it! ... To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx with a subject of "unsubscribe". ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: completely lost as to what to do, or where to look.
    ... you really need to try the latest kernel from the git ... The DRI 'mechanisms' you're ... Please try the latest kernel first, and then let us know what happens ...
    (Linux-Kernel)
  • Re: Installing IPTables: not very clear howto
    ... >You have to configure your kernel first, ... >> Will building iptables 1.2.9 substitute some files in that directory ... >You should remove any prior iptables version that could be prior in your ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)
  • Re: the difference between binary file and ASCII file
    ... > how can a unix shell detect that it is not an execuable binary ... That is done at kernel level. ... The kernel first checks your permission to ...
    (comp.unix.shell)
  • Update-grub not listing latest kernel first
    ... I have just done another kernel recompile and when I ran update-grub it listed the previous version of the kernel first. ... To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx with a subject of "unsubscribe". ...
    (Debian-User)