Re: :Loading LinuxEBDA is big" lilo error - PERMANENT fix?

On Wed, 17 Mar 2010 12:28:36 -0400 (EDT), Brett Charbeneau wrote:
Google searches indicate that booting from a rescue CD and rerunning
lilo takes care of the problem, which is does, until the next kernel upgrade.

I use lilo too.

If rerunning lilo fixes the problem, then the problem is that lilo did
not get run during the kernel upgrade. I noticed that too on my
system. When the kernel on my Squeeze system was upgraded from
linux-image-2.6.32-trunk-686 to linux-image-2.6.32-3-686, the kernel
image file was installed to /boot, the initial RAM file system was created,
and the symlinks were updated. But lilo was not run. I had to manually
run lilo.

The maintainer scripts for kernel image packages used to always do this,
but now, well, not necessarily. There is a configuration file for kernel
image packages called /etc/kernel-img.conf. There are some flags in there
that need to be set.

do_initramfs = yes
do_symlinks = yes
do_bootloader = yes

However, the maintainer scripts do not always honor them anymore.
For stock kernels, do_initramfs is ignored. It *always* creates an
initial RAM filesystem, because stock kernels require one. do_symlinks
seems to still be honored. Mine got updated. do_bootloader doesn't
seem to be honored anymore. do_bootloader seems to work only when
an initial RAM filesystem is *updated*, not when it is *created*. Also,
if grub (version 1 or version 2) is installed (but not in use),
update-initramfs may get confused and think that it doesn't need to
run lilo. After all, if grub is installed, then you're obviously
using it, right? :-|

If in doubt, always manually run lilo after a kernel upgrade.
If you want to make *sure* that it always gets run, you can create a
hook script. An example of this can be found in "Step 10:
Customize the Kernel Installation Process" on the following
web page: http://www.wowway.com/~zlinuxman/Kernel.htm

--
.''`. Stephen Powell <zlinuxman@xxxxxxxxxx>
: :' :

  • Re: lilo removal in squeeze (or, "please test grub2")
    ... I've been tempted to volunteer to become the upstream maintainer ... for lilo myself. ... and DSF (Device Support Facilities). ... was that a new kernel was installed without lilo being run. ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: lilo config is busted, need help fixing it
    ... At my pace of kernel file growth, I won't hit the lilo 22.8 16MB limit ... You see, the kernel image on disk, ... The compression ratio for an amd64-architecture kernel is significantly ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: Choosing default OS in multi boot system
    ... I do not hate grub, since when you do not have complex needs it ... But when you need to take control on your boot loader, Lilo is ... install a new kernel, you have to tell LILO where to find the new file. ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: boot/repair floppy or CD
    ... The information you put in lilo.conf is used by lilo when you run lilo. ... the other runs without any kernel, ... kernel proper is booted, the root file system mounted, and "init" reads /etc/inittab, and finds instructions to run the script /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit. ...
    (comp.os.linux.misc)
  • Re: Lilo: fatal: raid_setup: stat("/dev/hda")
    ... After latest upgrade installation of lilo fails. ... # Kernel image management overrides ... # Specifies the boot device. ...
    (Debian-User)