Re: :Loading LinuxEBDA is big" lilo error - PERMANENT fix?

On Wed, 17 Mar 2010 12:28:36 -0400 (EDT), Brett Charbeneau wrote:
Google searches indicate that booting from a rescue CD and rerunning
lilo takes care of the problem, which is does, until the next kernel upgrade.

I use lilo too.

If rerunning lilo fixes the problem, then the problem is that lilo did
not get run during the kernel upgrade. I noticed that too on my
system. When the kernel on my Squeeze system was upgraded from
linux-image-2.6.32-trunk-686 to linux-image-2.6.32-3-686, the kernel
image file was installed to /boot, the initial RAM file system was created,
and the symlinks were updated. But lilo was not run. I had to manually
run lilo.

The maintainer scripts for kernel image packages used to always do this,
but now, well, not necessarily. There is a configuration file for kernel
image packages called /etc/kernel-img.conf. There are some flags in there
that need to be set.

do_initramfs = yes
do_symlinks = yes
do_bootloader = yes

However, the maintainer scripts do not always honor them anymore.
For stock kernels, do_initramfs is ignored. It *always* creates an
initial RAM filesystem, because stock kernels require one. do_symlinks
seems to still be honored. Mine got updated. do_bootloader doesn't
seem to be honored anymore. do_bootloader seems to work only when
an initial RAM filesystem is *updated*, not when it is *created*. Also,
if grub (version 1 or version 2) is installed (but not in use),
update-initramfs may get confused and think that it doesn't need to
run lilo. After all, if grub is installed, then you're obviously
using it, right? :-|

If in doubt, always manually run lilo after a kernel upgrade.
If you want to make *sure* that it always gets run, you can create a
hook script. An example of this can be found in "Step 10:
Customize the Kernel Installation Process" on the following
web page: http://www.wowway.com/~zlinuxman/Kernel.htm

--
.''`. Stephen Powell <zlinuxman@xxxxxxxxxx>
: :' :