Apache2 chroot /dev/null permission denied

Hi,
I have an old Debian Etch box, running Apache2 on chroot jail. Yesterday,
(it sounds like joke) I turned off the machine and when I started it again
the web server did not come to life again.
The problem was a Permission Denied on the /dev/null.

I created my device with the command: mknod -m 0666 /chroot/dev/null c 1 3
listing the permissions:

crw-rw-rw- 1 root root 1, 3 2010-03-16 18:37 null
crw-rw-rw- 1 root root 1, 8 2010-03-16 18:39 random
crw-rw-rw- 1 root root 1, 9 2010-03-16 18:39 urandom

(When I change the group to sys, don't solve the problem)

Even outside of the chroot when I try to echo something and redirect to this
device I get the same message:

-su: null: Permission Denied

My kernel is the default:
2.6.18-6-686 #1 SMP

Everything worked fine 2 days ago.

I really wish to understand and solve this issue.
When I mount all /dev with a bind option, it works fine again, but I
wouldn't want to have all my devices available inside chroot.

I really appreciate any help.

Thanks in advance

--
Knoseeker

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Need advice on setting of an SSH server for untrusted users
    ... > I've just set up an ssh server so that my customers can download code ... I've set up ssh so that it requires rsa authentication. ... There is a patch for openssh that will cause it to do a chroot like ... The issue with a chroot jail for ssh is that you have to hand-roll the ...
    (comp.os.linux.security)
  • Re: Linux chroot
    ... chroot jail natively. ... Shared Hosting, Reseller Hosting, Dedicated & Semi-Dedicated servers ...
    (comp.os.linux.security)
  • Re: Apache2 chroot /dev/null permission denied
    ... I have an old Debian Etch box, running Apache2 on chroot jail. ... (it sounds like joke) ... To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx with a subject of "unsubscribe". ...
    (Debian-User)
  • RE: Public Web server Help
    ... > that CHROOT may help lock users in. ... I heard chroot jail from a number of people. ... Will a SSHd chroot jail work differently then a 'normal' chroot jail? ... to facilitate one-on-one interaction with one of our expert instructors. ...
    (Security-Basics)
  • Re: Desktop user: Etch or the next testing?
    ... >> Douglas Allan Tutty wrote: ... I know there is chroot jail ... >> one can run a whole Debian operating system in a chroot jail. ... If I have another physical disk, I'd rather put backups on it. ...
    (Debian-User)