Re: Re: Transferring files over SSH in the console

I can have as many open connections as I want, it's on the LAN. But I
would _prefer_ just one terminal window for both commands (SSH) and
file transfers.

You might like to try this.

1) Add to ~/.ssh/config
ControlMaster auto
ControlPath /tmp/%h%p%r
(man ssh_config for explanation).

2) Fire up sftp
sftp user@machine:/path

3) Within sftp, login to a shell on the remote system
!ssh user@machine
Exit the shell to return to the sftp prompt.

4) Use sftp's history to recall the ssh command as desired.

That is an interesting idea! I did not realise that one could open a
shell via sftp like that.

Note that by using the control socket, the shell login uses the same
connection as sftp. Consequently you don't have to enter the password
again.

Nice!

Allow me to make a plug for the lftp package which I find more
friendly and flexible than sftp (filename completion, get/put multiple
files, and much more).
At (2) enter
lftp sftp://user@machine/path
then carry on as before.

Plug away! I will look into that.

I hope this helps.

It most certainly does, Clive. Thanks!

--
Dotan Cohen

http://bido.com
http://what-is-what.com

  • Re: Does IIS support SFTP?
    ... Here's a guide for using SSH to set up SFTP on Windows. ... using FTP over SSH. ... It adds file transfers to ...
    (microsoft.public.inetserver.iis.ftp)
  • Re: Batch job to perform sftp transfer
    ... It relies on copying datasets to temporary HFS files ... I used /bin/cat with ssh so that I could transfer the data and pipe it to ... The IBM version of sftp doesn't support datasets, ... Batch job to perform sftp transfer ...
    (bit.listserv.ibm-main)
  • Re: [opensuse] what networking file system to use for our home office?
    ... SSH server on Your "server" and from Your clients connect using SFTP or ... You can login using SSH ... certificates or just let clients' computers to remember passwords. ... I usually sit at university, so I have good connection, but even from home ...
    (SuSE)
  • Re: Re: Transferring files over SSH in the console
    ... file transfers. ... ControlMaster auto ... Fire up sftp ... !ssh user@machine ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: secure file transfer FROM z/OS
    ... FTPS. ... SSH SFTP. ... This is supported by z/OS Ported Tools - OpenSSH. ... better native z/OS features than Ported Tools SSH ...
    (bit.listserv.ibm-main)