CUPS broadcasting print queue availability

Hi,

I did this once a *long* time ago, but don't remember how. Also, I've read the (seemingly relevant sections of the sorely lacking) CUPS SAM, and Googled around to no avail.

My server has a print queue that looks like this:
$ lpstat -v
device for Dell_3100cn: socket://192.168.1.11
device for Dell_3100cn@haggis: socket://192.168.1.11
device for PDF: cups-pdf:/

The server's /etc/cups/cupsd.conf looks like:
Browsing On
BrowseOrder allow,deny
BrowseAllow 192.168.1.0/24
BrowseAddress 192.168.1.255
BrowseLocalProtocols CUPS dnssd
DefaultAuthType Basic
<Location />
Allow from 192.168.1.*
Order allow,deny
</Location>

I created this on the client:
$ cat /etc/cups/cups.conf
ServerName haggis

Shouldn't cups on the server (haggis) be broadcasting network messages announcing the availability of it's print queues, and shouldn't some program from cups-client be listening?

Or do even client computers need the cups server package?

TIA
--
"History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the weak
or the timid." Dwight Eisenhower

  • Re: CUPS broadcasting print queue availability
    ... BrowseOrder allow,deny ... ServerName haggis ... Shouldn't cups on the server be broadcasting network messages ... To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx ...
    (Debian-User)
  • CUPS problem printing pictures is very slow
    ... all jobs) and everything is working very well, ... # Server name ... # Browse order (BrowseOrder) ... # Whether or not to use implicit classes. ...
    (Debian-User)
  • CUPS problem printing is slow
    ... all jobs) and everything is working very well, ... # Server name ... # Browse order (BrowseOrder) ... # Whether or not to use implicit classes. ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: CUPS broadcasting print queue availability
    ... Your printers.conf on the server machine should have a line "Shared Yes". ... My server has a print queue that looks like this: ... BrowseOrder allow,deny ... On the client OS's you should see incoming packets of about 189 bytes ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: Problems getting cups 1.3.7-8 to share printers
    ... I thought that by buying RedHat that I would have a system that has been tested and works without too much of banging one's head against a wall. ... I know that the server and client are communicating. ... BrowseOrder allow,deny ... AuthType Default ...
    (RedHat)