Re: recompiling the kernel with a different version name

On Wed, Apr 07 2010, Stephen Powell wrote:

On Wed, 7 Apr 2010 14:54:53 -0400 (EDT), Celejar wrote:
On Wed, 7 Apr 2010 13:48:18 -0400 (EDT), Stephen Powell wrote:

Note: you must always issue "make-kpkg clean" after running "make menuconfig"
or after running "make-kpkg" with any target other than "clean". Otherwise,
version and revision numbers will not work as expected. Assuming that you

Are you sure that this is currently required? From the changelog:

kernel-package (12.016) unstable; urgency=low

* [4df65e7]: Remove obsolete warnings about running make-clean
With the new facility to regenerate ./debian, all the old strictures
about running make clean after anything that might change the version
number have beenmade obsolete, so remove from man page.
Bug fix: "Is the --append-to-version section still accurate?", thanks
to Frédéric Brière. Short answer: No. (Closes: #534743).

-- Manoj Srivastava <srivasta@xxxxxxxxxx> Sun, 28 Jun 2009 15:31:12 -0500

I must confess I did not look at the change log. But the README file
(/usr/share/doc/kernel-package/README.gz) still documents it as necessary.
As to whether this is out of date or not, I do not know.
But there is one thing I *do* know: the --revision flag he was using was
not taking effect, as evidenced by the name of the package file produced.
And I also know that when I use "make-kpkg clean" before building the kernel
package, I never have any trouble. Note also that the comment above talks
about changing the version number, not the revision number. They aren't
the same.

The README is out of date. I'll try and remember to fix this
(feel free to file a bug report to remind me).

I am not sure why the revision flag was not taking effect (I
have not had time to look into the mails yet), but the +drm3 is coming
from the kernel code (something is setting .localversions or the ilk).

manoj
--
Guard against physical unruliness. Be restrained in body. Abandoning
physical wrong doing, lead a life of physical well doing. 231