Re: Migrate OS to smaller drive?

Sjoerd Hardeman wrote:
I thought symlinks keep point via a file location memo, like "look at
/usr/share/the/file/you/want", which is the old location just after
copying, but the new location when you boot from your new device and
that becomes root.

A tool that tries to be too smart could try to relocate it.

Not sure how it would work out though; you'd probably have to be inside the new system, copying files from the old one, and not the other way around.

-thib

  • Installing the MBR on a new Hard Drive
    ... I have made a copy of the / file system from the boot ... besides the obvious fact that one is copying more ... To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Installing the MBR on a new Hard Drive
    ... I have made a copy of the / file system from the boot ... besides the obvious fact that one is copying more ... To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: NFS small files
    ... :> I should mention that copying the same directory on the nfs server takes ... rather than the 54s over nfs. ... :> Peter Hessler wrote: ... :>: To unsubscribe, send any mail to ...
    (freebsd-performance)
  • Re: new problem - networking is strange
    ... It is/was broken on my system since both of my network cards get random ... PCI address instead of MAC address. ... I was always wondering why it changes after copying the system. ... To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: a tool that allows to continue copying between HDDs
    ... a tool that allows to continue copying between HDDs ... To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx ... Trouble? ...
    (Debian-User)