Re: How to migrate my localhost php site to my ISP - Was: willing to learn php basics

On 17/04/10 10:15, Bernard wrote:

Thanks for your help Monique. I hadn't thought of that, but it makes
sense that the ISP only allows one user to log into databases. Problem
is that outside users will have to connect to my database through a php
script that will contain my password !

That is normal. If your users can enter data, then the script must have at least some write privileges on the database.

In the real world, you deal with the security aspect by placing the password (and database and user names) in a second php script outside the web server's document root, so that no web request can return it. Apache will normally be configured not to allow download of scripts, even when a user knows the right filename, but placing the script outside the directory tree which apache can reach adds to security. You 'require' this mini-script in the main php script, which must of course be placed within the web document tree. While apache cannot reach outside its docroot, php/perl/etc. can, though with the same permissions that apache runs under.

In order to achieve this, you need write access to that directory tree above apache's docroot, with the ability to set permissions correctly. From what you say, it does not seem that you have that with your current ISP. You would seem to need to spend some money, even before you are sure you will have the access you need.

>By the way, just in case I would decide to subscribe to pair.com, >would you know if it is possible to subscribe for a short time, 3 >months for instance ? I know of an ISP in Switzerland that is quite a >bit cheaper, but then you have to subscribe for at least two years (80 >Euros for the first year, 120 Euros for each following year)

1&1 appears to offer a 60-day guarantee which may meet your needs:

"The 1&1 60-Day Money Back Guarantee applies to the Instant Mail and Beginner packages as well as all shared hosting, Virtual Server and eShop packages. You will receive a full refund of the fees if you are not completely satisfied within 60 days' of the activation of your package. Guarantee starts on the date of initial registration of the contract number.

"There is no refund for packages ordered with the software bundle, software shipping and handling fees, domain name registration fees, or any unused bandwidth. 1&1 considers that customers upgrading from an existing package have already experienced the 60-Day Money Back Guarantee. In addition, each customer can only use the Money Back Guarantee once, and for only one contract number per account."

In practice, you'll need to pay a small amount for shipping of documentation and to register at least one domain name, so you wouldn't get much back out of two months' payment, but you wouldn't be tied into a long contract.

I'm on the Business Pro package, at GBP 15 per month, most of which I can charge on to customers. There's a Business at GBP 9 per month, about the same as your Swiss one, which offers two 100MB MySQL databases plus perl and PHP. It doesn't have ssh access to the server, but I've very rarely used that. It also doesn't have cron scripts, but I've never used them. If you need something timed, you can write it into a script and call it as a web page on a timed basis from outside.

As I recall, you don't need ssh access to install phpmyadmin, it's just another web script. You FTP the files to a suitable directory. You need to give phpmyadmin the local address and port number of the MySQL server. Certainly, you are free to create users at various privilege levels, you have full control of the databases. You can then logon to phpmyadmin using any of the MySQL user credentials, though normally you will be doing administration and you will use the root logon.

--
Joe

  • Re: libicui18n.so.36 not found, required by "evolution"
    ... It will only fetch programs that need updating, ... Later this day I will add some debugging functionality to the script and send that version to you, if you are willing to spend your time helping me finding this problem. ... And indeed pkg_libchk is by far the best solution, if I was to update every package that depended on icu I would have to update 239 packages which discouraged me right away, by running pkg_libchk the amount of packages to be updated was reduced to 71, wrote a quick script and left it running overnight and those packages got updated and by god I don't have any more problems with libicui18n.so.38. ... And until then you already have a description for all new commands. ...
    (freebsd-questions)
  • Re: sun-java versions
    ... I'll have a go at creating a .deb tomorrow. ... the sun-java packages from multiverse that you need to be aware of. ... installations that may or may not mess with each other. ... because I wasn't sure if the update-java script included in java-common ...
    (Ubuntu)
  • Re: Need guidance
    ... Close all databases that are being shared by FM7 sever. ... Open FM7 pro 7 to execute a script that will import data from another file ... Open all databases in FM7 server to be shared. ...
    (comp.databases.filemaker)
  • Re: after pkgng update, daily run still using pkg_info
    ... After switching to pkgng, I ... Or should I just edit the script by hand and be ... Some of the packages reported as corrupt were installed *after* the ... and corrupt packages equal the number pkg reports? ...
    (freebsd-questions)
  • Reverting to previous found set from script
    ... Hi guys and girls ... I'm new to FileMaker but not to databases in general. ... So the principles behind relational database operation aren't a problem for me to understand; what I'm having difficulty with is making FileMaker's script steps duplicate what I can do manually. ... If I am in a found set of records, or indeed am looking at all of them, when I click into find mode and enter something which I know can't be found, FileMaker presents an error message and allows me to continue or cancel. ...
    (comp.databases.filemaker)