Re: How to trick my Debian in thinking that a package is not installed

On Wed, Apr 21, 2010 at 03:27:28PM +0000, T o n g <mlist4suntong@xxxxxxxxx> was heard to say:
On Tue, 20 Apr 2010 22:33:14 -0700, Daniel Burrows wrote:
Can you provide any more information about this? It shouldn't happen
in any recent version of aptitude.

I can only give you partial information.

This is what I've been doing

aptitude --purge-unused purge durep
dpkg -i /linux/linux_bin/deb-pkgs/durep_0.8.1-7.1_all.deb
aptitude install durep=

For how it happened, I need directions for where to look for such
"more information".

If you see "aptitude safe-upgrade" trying to upgrade durep, I'd like
to see the output of these commands (after you type Control-C at the
aptitude prompt, of course):

aptitude show durep
aptitude -sy --show-resolver-actions safe-upgrade

It is not the first time such thing happens, I agree with Monique's
obervation, "when aptitude is making suggestions to resolve conflicts, it
will un-hold packages."

That shouldn't be possible. If it is happening, something is very
wrong. My own guess is that something is clearing your hold flags. For
instance, it was recently pointed out to me that "aptitude keep-all"
clears hold flags (probably wrongly).

Daniel

  • Re: How to trick my Debian in thinking that a package is not installed
    ... safe- upgrade', this durep package somehow get upgraded as well. ... in any recent version of aptitude. ... there were nearly 200 packages need to be upgraded. ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: getting gnome out of xfce4 in debian
    ... think of is to reinstall using the Debian xfce4 iso and add the gnome ... As Doug would say, start Aptitude ... Registered Linux User #454138 ... To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: How can I refresh Etch completely?