Re: Questions about RAID 6

Mark Allums put forth on 4/26/2010 12:51 PM:

Put four drives in a RAID 1, you can suffer a loss of three drives.

And you'll suffer pretty abysmal write performance as well.

Also keep in mind that some software RAID implementations allow more than
two drives in RAID 1, most often called a "mirror set". However, I don't
know of any hardware RAID controllers that allow more than 2 drives in a
RAID 1. RAID 10 yields excellent fault tolerance and a substantial boost to
read and write performance. Anyone considering a 4 disk mirror set should
do RAID 10 instead.

--
Stan

  • Re: raid controller
    ... In his article he states four major reasons to discourage RAID; ... Without RAID you could do a traditional backup at 8:00 AM and at 8:30 AM ... But It's asking for 'RAID Controller' ... hard drives with drive/s C on both drives. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics)
  • Re: Disk partitioning question
    ... A hardware RAID Volume may exist without any RAID Drives on it. ... > This single array will show up as Disk 0 in Windows Disk Manager. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: Need help installing OS6 on Dell PowerEdge 2600 with PERC4/Di RAID
    ... > like a fresh install and porting their application and data to the new system. ... PERC4/Di RAID on the motherboard, Dell DLT tape drive, Dell slimline ... PATA connector usable for two PATA drives. ... After downloading drivers from both SCO and Dell to create the ...
    (comp.unix.sco.misc)
  • Re: Disk partitioning question
    ... > A hardware RAID Volume may exist without any RAID Drives on it. ... This single array will show up as Disk 0 in Windows Disk ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • How I built a 2.8TB RAID storage array
    ... My 2.8TB RAID 5 array is finally up and running. ... Nine 400GB PATA drives; eight for use, ... Two Highpoint RocketRAID 454 cards. ...
    (comp.os.linux.hardware)