Re: monitoring internet availability and sending sms alert?

---- Original Message ----
From: marathon.durandal@xxxxxxxxx
To: debian-user@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: monitoring internet availability and sending sms alert?
Date: Thu, 13 May 2010 20:46:20 -0400

On Fri, May 14, 2010 at 12:28:54AM +0100, Adam Hardy uttered:
I figure this is probably something I would have to script myself
because I can't find anything useful looking out there, but I
thought
I'd ask before I try (or perhaps before I procrastinate again):

I have a machine here at home running some 24x5 programs which I
really need to keep up and running, along with my broadband so it
can
get its datafeeds.

I figured I could run a program on my webserver to ping my home
machine regularly and in case it starts to slow down, lose packets
or
die completely, it could send me an SMS to alert me to the fact.

Is there something like this already in existence?

Not sure as I'm going from memory. Webmin had/has a heartbeat
monitor
plug-in and if memory serves it had a way to notify a phone number,
e-mail address etc. I assume it's not that important to be SMS
necessarily?

Webmin AFAIK is not in Debian anymore; but you can get it upstream
or
perhaps look at the heartbeat application in Debian to see what it
has
for remote notification.

HTH

Isn't this what SNMP was designed for?