Any file details on an executable binary file?

Hello list,

I was wondering if anyone could suggest a package or means to look at any or all of the information from a given executable binary file:

- What compiler compiled it

- What (source) language was it compiled from

- What computer architecture the file was compiled for

- How many hardware bits was the file intended for (eg. 32-bit or 64-bit encoding)

- Endianness

If any of the above a simply not possible because of the nature all binary files, it would be helpful to know that too.

Thanks.

-M

MSN Dating: Find someone special. Start now.
http://go.microsoft.com/?linkid=9729707

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Not consistent unformatted write
    ... I must use a legacy code which interfaces with other codes through an ... unformatted binary file. ... When I catch myself thinking it might be the compiler, ... Reading the file back before closing it after writing, ...
    (comp.lang.fortran)
  • Re: Not consistent unformatted write
    ... unformatted binary file. ... On your third question, YES, memory faults can cause problems like ... always) NOT in the compiler or runtime, ... Reading the file back before closing it after writing, ...
    (comp.lang.fortran)
  • Re: Writing a structure
    ... Use a binary file and dump the binary representation of the ... > compiler, on the same platform. ... shared binary data files between 68k and SPARC. ...
    (comp.lang.c)
  • Re: MFC and COM components
    ... I always preferred stuff provided by compiler COM ... support to what MFC wizards spit out. ... I share the same preference. ... drawback is that the entire binary file becomes part of the "source ...
    (microsoft.public.vc.mfc)
  • Re: I need help!!
    ... length binary file from a COBOL program that was written a long, ... In addition to the COMP-3 data problem that Arnold mentioned, ... This type of file is proprietary to the compiler used. ... the data layout. ...
    (comp.lang.cobol)