Re: Is volatile repo bad for secure stable version of Debian?

On 2010-06-06 21:48 +0200, Sthu Deus wrote:

I got a question, Should "volatile" Debian repository be avoided from
servers running stable version of Debian for stability/security reasons?

In my (very humble, not backed up with much personal experience) opinion
no. The packages in volatile are usually there because the versions in
stable aren't really working anymore, so _if_ you need them there is
usually no better source than the volatile repository.

See http://www.debian.org/volatile/ for details.

Sven

  • RE: ClamAV on Sarge
    ... The answer for ClamAV is to use Volatile. ... Are there going to be any other packages that I may run into these sorts ... To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: Difficulty downgrading a mistakenly installed non-stable package
    ... packages which are not in a stable release. ... > In my opinion it's very good when backports is default in sources.list. ... To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: Stable volatile versions
    ... Liam already explain why this was so. ... the volatile repo to> 1000. ... I did this once I discovered that the debian main packages really ... To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: ClamAV update to 0.97
    ... The packages site says .97 is available in lenny-volatile. ... for volatile. ... So if the packages for squeeze are still not there soon they will. ... To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: Volatile in C99
    ... I realize that's your opinion; ... Yes as it is your opinion not everyone's that an access to volatile ... referred to several different sections of the Standard, ... unknown side-effects may be. ...
    (comp.std.c)