Misleading Debian's installer choice

Hi,

I wanted to reinstall Debian on an older PC where I had installed RH
some months ago. I had numerous problems because of RH (I don't like RH
at all, actually).

I often install Debian on different computers, but I noticed, this time
(I'm using a netinst, as always), that, as always, in the partitioning,
it asks for `what you want to mount where.' That is, you can choose, for
every partition, the `mount point.'

First, I always found the `mount point' expression weird in this
context, because, for me, the mount point _is_ always the partition,
during the installation, but this is not the problem.

The biggest problem is that you are able to choose between, say, `/',
`/var/', '/usr/', `/home/', etc. But, without thinking a lot, `/'
*habitually* contains the rest. So, mounting say `/' on hda1, and
`/home/' on hdb1 could appear as weird for the user, at first glance (only).

What do you think about this? (I'm known for my outlandish ideas, so,
don't be angry if I'm wrong.)

--
Merciadri Luca
client, please contact me.

Don't bite the hand that feeds you.

  • Re: Installing FC5 on pre-partitioned /dev/hdb
    ... I want to do an install onto /dev/hdb, and when its done, just ... revert to highlighting the partition being addresssed at the ... created partition, recreate it, and add a mount point. ... Copyright 2006 by Maurice Eugene Heskett, ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: Can one now help?
    ... in the shell terminal, mount your fedora partition: ... where X is the drive letter and N is the partition number ... where you installed fedora. ... You are right not to touch the install icon again. ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: Can one now help?
    ... in the shell terminal, mount your fedora partition: ... where X is the drive letter and N is the partition number (starts at ... You are right not to touch the install icon again. ... i have partitions for C, D, E, F (four drives). ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: Partitioning SuSE 10
    ... I have to install our new production servers, ... Forget about using 'hardwired' partition sizes and such. ... the are explicitly mounted is so that the mount options can change for each. ... The server I was given has 2GB of memory. ...
    (alt.os.linux.suse)
  • Re: Accidentally moved /libexec/ld-elf.so.1
    ... If /tmp resides on its own partition, ... So mount /tmp and copy the file: ... The "make" command produces ld-elf.so.1, ... If "make install" doesn't work correctly, ...
    (freebsd-questions)