Re: caught flatfooted with a 2wire gateway model 4011G

--- On Wed, 6/30/10, Lisi <lisi.reisz@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

From: Lisi <lisi.reisz@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: caught flatfooted with a 2wire gateway model 4011G
To: debian-user@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Wednesday, June 30, 2010, 10:57 AM
On Wednesday 30 June 2010 17:49:58
Hugo Vanwoerkom wrote:
--- On Wed, 6/30/10, Eduardo M KALINOWSKI <eduardo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:
From: Eduardo M KALINOWSKI <eduardo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: caught flatfooted with a 2wire
gateway model 4011G
To: debian-user@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Wednesday, June 30, 2010, 10:37 AM
On Qua, 30 Jun 2010, Hugo Vanwoerkom

wrote:
Hi,

I had to dismantle the Debian Sid system and
move to a

new location (Mexico). There I subscribed to
Telmex´s ADSL
package. They gave me a 2wire ´wireless´
gateway model
4011G and said they only support the
unmentionable OS. So
support is, as usual, non-existent.

2 questions:

1. I don´t understand what the ´wireless´
part of

this gateway is. You connect 3 things, the
phoneline via a
microfilter, the power cord and the ethernet
cable to the
eth0 port. What is wireless?

It could be a wireless router/access point. Does
it have an
antenna? If not, then I don't know what it
means.

2. 2wire says that this gateway has a
builtin pppoe

client. So to configure it I only run pppoeconf
and specify
the userid and the password and then run pppd?

No. Since the device has a pppoe client, it can
do
authentication itself. You only plug your
computer and it
receives an IP via dhcp and connects to the
internet. The
computer is unaware how the connection is
established, your
device takes care of the details.

Thanks Eduardo, but why does the ´manual´ tell me to
have my userid and
password ready?  When and where are those
entered?

When you get access via your browser.  If you can't
find the IP you need to
navigate to in the manual, then try the two suggested by
Andrei.  If you are
lucky, the first guess will be the right one!

Once in to your modem/router's web interface, there is
likely to be a
connection wizard that will ask for those details.
You will also need the
admin name and default password for the modem router, which
should be in the
manual and/or on the base of the router.

Once in, you can turn wireless off and change the default
password.

Thanks Lisi, I will wait till I have a system again and take a look at the web interface.

Hugo

  • Re: caught flatfooted with a 2wire gateway model 4011G
    ... caught flatfooted with a 2wire gateway model 4011G ... On Qua, 30 Jun 2010, Hugo Vanwoerkom ... It could be a wireless router/access point. ... manual and/or on the base of the router. ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: caught flatfooted with a 2wire gateway model 4011G
    ... caught flatfooted with a 2wire gateway model 4011G ... On Qua, 30 Jun 2010, Hugo Vanwoerkom ... and you should see the web interface. ... To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: caught flatfooted with a 2wire gateway model 4011G
    ... caught flatfooted with a 2wire gateway model 4011G ... On Qua, 30 Jun 2010, Hugo Vanwoerkom ... and you should see the web interface. ... To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: How to keep a locally compiled *.deb up to date?