Re: was getting disk failure errors, repaired the sectors, now what?

On 01/07/10 03:34 AM, Andrei Popescu wrote:

Don't you have some method of checking the integrity of you backups?
(http://www.taobackup.com/integrity.html)

It is considered that a modern drive developing bad sectors visible to
the system[1] is not to be trusted.

[1] drives are remapping bad sectors internally, until they run out of
spare sectors.

This looks like filesystem corruption, did you fsck the drive/partition?

All good points. I haven't tried these ... which I will do now.

Thanks!

ever having been read.

  • Re: was getting disk failure errors, repaired the sectors, now what?
    ... using cron and rsync. ... Do I just delete the backups ... It is considered that a modern drive developing bad sectors visible to ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: was getting disk failure errors, repaired the sectors, now what?
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: [Bulk] Re: BD-RE mount problem
    ... K3B and xorriso will burn iso9660. ... Media current: BD-RE ... 192 sectors at LBA 32 ... To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx with a subject of "unsubscribe". ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: Re: Re: Re: Please help me to evaluate flash/ssd life using vmstat -d
    ... Is the number of IO under "total" column> supposed to be the number of IOs ... it looks like 'total' is the number of contiguous blocks of read ... And 'sectors' the total size of all data read or written. ... To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx with a subject of "unsubscribe". ...
    (Debian-User)
  • HDD problem research (was HDD questions)
    ... Does any body have Segate drive ST380021A working with FreeBSD? ... > Also, I tryied to read some sectors back and forward, and found out ... > Best regards, ... >> To unsubscribe, send any mail to ...
    (freebsd-hackers)